Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ScaryCary, Sep 27, 2000.

1. ScaryCary

ScaryCary LawnSite Member

I need a good pull behind core aerator, I saw one awhile back that was a big cylinder that I think you filled with water if you needed more weight. Anyone know what the name of this is? Thank You Cary
  2. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a tow behind core aerator from GPC Products, out of Charlotte. Their web site is: I bought the 36" true core plugger and just got it in 3 days ago. Am very impressed with the quality and workmanship, heavier duty than I thought it would be. It was $495 for the 36" with the heavy duty wheel transport kit. Am in the process of rigging up a mount to my Z rider to tow it. If you need any more info, email me at

3. Looks like a good design Mike.

Now you need to add a tine rake so you can dethatch, mow, and aerate at the same time.

Let us know how it works and the cost of replacement tines.
  4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

cary: last yr. i picked up a 48" tow behind/3 pt. hitch bannerman from lyons&lyons out of md. it looks like a classen/lesco.
    also a company out of pa. sells them (mill creek)
    in a few weeks i am going to retrofit it on a old 61"hydro scag (removing the deck)installing it on the front.
  5. Guest

Check out Ryans Tow behind. I just bought one and they work great! The problem with lesco and drum style units is noticed when making turns, they can tear up sod! The Ryan has independant 75 lb wheels that rotate at different rates of speed when turning.
  6. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

I have not heard of any complaints with anyone using the pull behind drum style aerators tearing up sod? Anyone who uses these do you experience these problems? Eric, I know you have the Classen, do you have problems when making turns?
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have mine on my 3 point hitch, so I raise it when I turn. I have heard of pulling this same one with the tongue hitch and it didn't tear up things unless you tried to turn real sharp. It has a split axle on it, each side turns separate. I guess I will have to try it out so I can give you a better report on it. It comes with both hitches.
  8. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

Does the Classen have a Split Axel? If it does it should do fine on turns.
  9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Andy, can you put in your input on the turning capability of the Classen/Lesco aerator? Andy is the one that told me about this aerator last summer. Yes, the axle has a split so one side does turn separate from the other side. Andy pulls his with his Chopper. I hope he responds to this post so he can tell you how sharp you can turn it.
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

My ryan 6ft aerator has 12 wheels with spoons and every one of them turn independently of the others.If any of them are hooked to each other they have to scuff in the turns,Ive never seen one that had mutiple units hooked together.It sounds like a cheaper way to build them,but it should be OK as long as its eased thru turns or on a 3 point hitch.