aerator and money

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Thanksman, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Thanksman

Thanksman LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok .. i have a question (as i dont want to turn away a customer). I can not afford a core aerator at this point in time. I have a customer who wants there lawn aerated and overseeded in spring. Would i be wasting my time as well as my customers money to use a tine aerator pull behind mon mower, or a none powered walkbehind? followed by a reseeding. :confused:

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Most of the tow behind types have way too small of teeth on them, and don't open a large enough slit, plus the slit usually closes before it's been in the ground long enough to be of any use. There are certain tine type aerators that work great, but they are normally seen on compact utility tractors with 3 pt hitches, and have very heavy duty, large, thick tines on them.

You should be able to find a plug type pull behind on craigs list right now for a decent price since winter is setting in and most people could use the cash for other things. The prices generally go way back up in the spring time.

3. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

Just rent the unit and work it into the price. good luck

4. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Just rent one, plug types are wayy wayy better than the tine type.

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto on the renting, either a walk behind or a pro-quality tow behind depending on the lawn. Or skip the aerator if the primary reason is seeding and rent a slit seeder...you will get better results.

6. Reliable 1

Reliable 1 LawnSite Member

I have a Blue Bird that I would be wiling to sell if you might be interested.

7. Thanksman

TY. .. but i am going to rent and hopefully save up for one. i appreciate the help. I will buy one when i have a few jobs that require that of me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. MowingMowingMowing

MowingMowingMowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Isn't it a bit late in the season to aerate? Around here it is all done end of September - Mid October ...

If it is the norm there, ask your other customers if they are interested, rent the aerator, and do them all in a day.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

He said in spring. :p

10. Thanksman

Yes it is very late. i am talking about for spring time... and yes.. great idea on doing them all at once..
    Posted via Mobile Device