aerator attachment for walkbehind mower?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Appalachian landscape, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Is there an areator i can mount to my walk behind mower? I know there are plenty that can be mounted to the front of a Z, but I 've never seen one for a walkbehind.

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I actually have seen one that you stand on top of, trying to remember if it was called the hooker or something along those lines, pulled behind the machine like a velke or similar objects. Had short tine hubs with a curved tine...anyone else seen this? lol

3. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

To my knowlege one that will do a decent job has yet to be developed yet. Most walk behinds do not have the drive train or power to pull an aerator. It takes a tractor of 12 hp or more just to pull one and that does not include mowing.
    Turfcobob

4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

actually, most hydros would easily pull something along these lines and anyone who has pulled out one of their stuck riders with a wb recognizes this. The drum styles rarely have bigger than a 6 hp motor after all w/ many being 4.5's, so it's not really hp that's the issue, it's weight. With a deep, straight tine, overcoming that leverage with a light(what's a hydro run, 450 lbs or so?) machine that may lift the back (drive)tires from the the ground becomes the issue. Thi sis why I think they were making the claw shaped, hooked tine and I cannot remember for the life of me exactly what it's called, esp. after reading the comments on the hooker front spikers elsewhere in this section.

5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Yer right HP is not the issue...it is what is between the hp and the ground that is the problem...smaller engine smaller drive line...usually belts..We are not talking a self propelled aerator here. He is asking about towing one with a walk behind mower..

6. weedwoop

weedwoop LawnSite Member

JRCO makes the hooker aerator, I think. One of several attachments that attach to their tool carrier. I have their tine rake and it works very well. I haven't tried the aerator, but after running around behind a Bluebird yesterday, I might look into one.

7. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

Bump for this question.

8. lawndesigns

lawndesigns LawnSite Member