aerator ? Billy Goat? Blue bird?Ryan?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bntt68, Oct 15, 2004.

1. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I recently rented a blue bird aerator. It was very rough. Have any of you used the Billy Goat aerator? How does it compare to Blue Bird, Ryan? Thanks

2. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

3. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

How does it compare to the others? THANX

4. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

I've got yhe Ryan Lawnaire 4 with the Briggs engine and am very happy with it.

However, I've heard that Husqvarna makes one with free wheeling outer tines that is suppose to make turning easier. I have not tried one but if you can rent one for a day, it might be worth it before purchasing one.

5. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

6. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

You will find the Ryan much much easier to use than the Blue Bird which I found terrible.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The husqvarna is the same as the blue bird, just a different color (owned By the same people).. the free wheeling outer tines alow you to make gradual turns wihtout lifting the tines. I rent blue bird here and they are fast and have a nice dence pattern. I can uaually do a lawn only lifting out of the ground a few times to go over sidewalks and such. The ryan cant turn as well but by leaning them to one side or the other you can turn some. I'd take a blue bird/husqvarna over a ryan anyday.
    Never tried a billy goat.
    But I really want a turfco turnarator slit drive with differential and brake steering.

8. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Plugr PL-800 is a great areator. I used to run a Ryan Lawnaire V. The Plugr brings up twice as many cores as the Lawnaire, and is alot easier on the body.

9. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

rented the bluebird 25" this past week and it tore my ass up. Im still sore from it, its horrible to steer and you have to run with it to do a nice job!

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Plugr 800 is a great unit and pulls the best and deepest plugs. It is great on a flat lot but it has a problem on the hills and can be much more work. It turns very easy and on small lots it is great. we have the 800 and rent the lawnair 4 so we can cover just about any lot. I still prefer to sit and ride on the tractor and pull the trailers while the crews push the walk behinds.