Aerator core

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bladerunners, Dec 22, 2006.

1. bladerunners

bladerunners LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

what does everyone here charge for aerating for an average sized yard like 1/2 acre less a house ? $50.00 ? Please let me know maybe I will buy new one. Thanks much:usflag:

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I charge 4 times my mowing fee.

3. bladerunners

from Midwest

its $100.00 without seed right?

4. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

You're thinking way too cheap. A 1/2 acre less house is likely about 12000 square feet. We'd charge $120 for that. We charge $60 for the smallest yard. Look at it this way - a homeowner can't rent the machine for less than $40-50. Factor in the aggravation of transporting the machine and you're a bargain. You could kill yourself doing it for next to nothing if you want but why?

5. bladerunners

from Midwest

may I ask you are you the owner landscape service or lawn care service business? if the landscape business is always expenise price.

6. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

bladerunners, this guy is exactly right bwt 9 and 12 per M. Be thankful that he is trying to help you out and not letting you go aeify a lawn for 30 bucks. You have to make a consciensce effort to be a high end company who knows how to manange turf or else you are just like everyone else running behind a mower.jmo

7. GSMOSS

GSMOSS LawnSite Member

BLADERUNNERS, what do you charge for mowing? I have the same question about what to charge for aerating. Since it will cost me $40 for 1 hour and $88 for the day, what should I charge the customer to recover fees and make a profit? Can anyone tell me how long will it take(on average of course, since all yards and operators are different) to do around 12000 square feet of turf with low amount of obstacles using a Classen aerator?

8. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

If you're using a small aerator - 19 inches wide - it'll probably take about 30 minutes or so. A wider unit - 26 or 28 inches - will cut that down to 15 or 20 minutes. You should be able to earn $700-$1000 a day with an aerator without killing yourself, so price accordingly. Using your 12000 SF example, you should charge $100-$120 and be able to do 6-10 of those a day, depending on travel time, terrain, etc.

9. GSMOSS

GSMOSS LawnSite Member

Thank you SCLAWNDR. That really cleared things up for me.

10. GSMOSS

GSMOSS LawnSite Member

Hey SCLAWNDR, How much seed do I need per 1/4 acre and how much do I charge each customer? I will be renting a Classen overseeder for $88 per day and need to recover the fee and make a profit. Do you know how long it will take to seed the same 12000SF using this equipment and seed on smooth terrain with few obstacles?