Aerator...I need one

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DavidR, Nov 6, 2007.

1. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I'm in need of an aerator. I'm pretty tired of having to rent one each fall. Also I would like to start using it in the spring as well. So what are all of you commercial guys using and what do you see residential homeowners using?

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I use a plugr but see home owner using me or renting one. why would you buy one and store it if just to use on your own property? I guess if you need one look on ebay or craigslist.org . or if you are really intrested I am thinking of upgrading again to the hydro plugr.

3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Steve, some people will say that your spike aerator is worse than doing nothing at all. Spiking can cause compaction, rather than fixing it.

David, if you have a tractor that can pull it, or even better, one with a three point hitch, then the link below will take you to the best deals on the market right now. For a "moving sale", its been going on a long time, but who cares?

http://www.turf-aire.com/index.html

I paid about double for a Turfco 42 inch three point hitch. It is a fine unit, and I am happy with it, but these Turf-Aire deals are tough to beat right now.

5. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

The brand isn't as important as the type. Use a core aerator versus a spiker type aerator. The core aerator will pull plugs out of the ground leaving them on top. This relieves compaction and gives a place for seed to get in good contact with the soil if your over seeding. The type that northern has listed above are good enough for a home owner. You probably won't want to spent the 2 or 3 thousand that a commercial type like Ryan or Plugr, or Classen.
    Here is some information on aerating and overseeding that might help.
    http://www.lawnmastersllpc.com/aeratingseeding.html

Good luck with your lawn!

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

If you want to buy an aerator, my guess is that you have a pretty big yard, right? If you do, are there a lot of 'obstacles' like trees, kid's play equipment, gardens, etc. in the way of maneuvering around with a pull behind aerator? Do you have a lawn tractor with something equal or higher than say, 18 HP, that could pull a reasonably sized pull behind aerator? If you say yes, no, and yes in that order, I'd recommend either a Lesco 48" or a 60" unit. They're nice and HEAVY and they have a bearing in the middle to help prevent 'tearing'. I believe Lesco sells to homeowners the same price now as they do to industry people (believe it or not), so you could get one new for between $1300-1500 depending on size. Or look around for a used one on this site, or around you! There's not much to break on them.

7. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

The turf-aire unit called the pro aire would be pretty much exactly what I'm looking for and the price is right. My only question is, would my tractor be big enough to pull it. I have a small, 17hp garden tractor that would have to do it. Would this tractor be big enough to carry the 36" pro aire?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

8. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

find out when the rental company will auction off there stuff, i have found a couple of great deals from home depot and united rental.