Aerator identification?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jason2, Mar 26, 2001.

1. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

I found an old walk behind aerator for sale. I have never seen one quite like it. It has a 3.5 Briggs, 3 or 4 large drum like wheels with tines, they must be 2 feet high at least. The drums like wheel things drive the unit. In front of the drums is one single castering wheel. Behind the drums are two transport wheels. The unit is very tall and heavy. Probably about three and a half to four feet tall. It appears to have been red at one time, but now is painted green. Coring width appeared to be around 19 inches(no tape with me that day).

Anybody have any idea who built this thing? If so, how well do they work? The unit in question is being sold on commission. The guy said the owner wanted $400 for the aerator and a powerrake, but was probably negotiable. I offered $100 for the aerator. The guy was going to check back with the owner.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This sounds like the same unit that Lesco used for some years up until about two years ago. I have the same unit if it is. Does the front caster arm have a pin that pulls out and raise the caster - lowering the tine wheels? This is how mine works, however I use a couple of barbel weights tied together hung over the front casters. This keeps the front down and provides more weight on the tines. It also makes it ALOT easier to handle. Anyway, this aerator works GREAT and is much faster than a drum type. To manuever, you just push down on the bars and lift the tines and spin it around. Does anyone else have this same machine, and does anyone know who made this? Or was it Lesco themselves?

3. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

Runner,

Thanks for the reply. The unit I am looking at has only one front caster. Lowering the unit is done with a handle that raises the rear transport wheels. I believe the front caster stays in contact with the ground. This unit does not have individual handles for each hand. It has a full bar kind of like a 21" push mower just bigger.

I'll have to take a closer look at it tomorrow.

4. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

Just got a hold of the owner. Turns out the aerator in question is an old Ryan. It's mine for $150. Supposedly runs great with a fairly new engine. He says it works great too. I will find out tomorrow. Gotta love finding stuff cheap. $150 is a lot easier on the wallet than shelling out $1,700 for a new one. If this machine works as good as owner says it does, goodbye rental shop!