1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aerator or PowerRake/Dethacher???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lgyardservices, Jun 22, 2008.

1. lgyardservices

lgyardservices LawnSite Senior Member

Hey i was just wondering what is a better service to offer? Aerating or power raking/dethaching? What is better for the lawn?

I am looking into buying either a aerator or power rake for this fall and next fall. I seem to be finding good deals on both new and used machines at this time of year. So what do you guys recommend? What brands? Has anyone ever tried putting a "dethaching blade" on their regular lawn mowers? thanks!
  2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Aerating is easier on the lawn, no question. Also isn't anywhere NEAR the mess. Better for the yard, easier for you. Pretty simple choice.
  3. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

You don't dethatch in the fall. Dethatching is spring only and aerating is whenever you want. Should be 2 or so times a year.
  4. lgyardservices

What kind of aerators would you guys recommend that arent too outrageously priced. I was thinking Classen or Ryan but they are pretty high prices. Any ideas?
  5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Check on ebay, I bought a Bluebird 530a in near new condition for a 1000$.
  6. lgyardservices

Yeah that probably what im gonna do. Are they all self propelled?
  7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

There not technically self propelled but when the tines dig into the ground, the machine moves forward. Have you ever done aeration before or dethatching? Dethatching only needs to be done when something is not right with the lawn IE bad mowing, too much fert., bad soil. and aeration is something that only needs to be done 1 time a year, in the fall. I've used about all the brands out there for aerators and it just depends on what you got to spend. You can get a a hydro plugger for 3k or so or you can get the cheaper aerators for deals like 1k on ebay.
  8. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

what is a good pull behind plugger
  9. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Turfco- No doubt about it. Very fast parts turn around. Lwans should be done twice per year, spring and fall. NEVER when its hot/dry.