aerator pull behind

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kenny@landmark landscapes, Feb 18, 2007.

1. kenny@landmark landscapes

kenny@landmark landscapes LawnSite Member

I was wondering how the pull behind aerators work... i was looking for one to pull with my 4 wheeler... just don't know if it will be heavy enough to penetrate the ground

2. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

Put cement blocks and you will be fine.

3. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Remember this when looking at tow aerators. Since the tines are not powered you will need more gross weight per tine to push it into the ground. Approx 100 pounds per tine on tow units. Now that is tines in the ground and roughly half that on tines entering the ground. This is a good rule in most conditions. Also remember that if you have problems pushing your soil probe or a big screw driver in the ground you will have problems aerating the same ground. On pulling an aerator with a 4 wheeler check with your Mfg. to see what drawbar pull your 4 wheeler can sustain. Aerators are hard to pull if they are working correctly. They are designed to be pulled by tractors. If your 4 wheeler is a belt drive you could be askiing for big problems later with it. They are not designed to be tractors.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We have a small 42" one we pull behind with a 18 or 20hp riding lawn mower. We place 3 wall block on the aerator (~200#'s) to help with the plugs.

As above stated you need to be careful about the conditions we've had times were we couldn't penetrate some soils b/c of lack of rain and soil compaction. We had to wait around for mother nature to help us out.

But we use it and it works fine. Not the most professional looking thing but a good money maker.

5. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

They work great but dont drive over a black-top driveway with it

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Our 36" Bluebird with the weights work pretty well.

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I'm assuming that's a pull behind. I'm curious what you pull it with? Any of your Zs?

8. rodfather

I pull it with one our our Toro Groundsmaster 325D's

9. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a BLUEBIRD TA-10 that came with the water jug weights. I bought it late last season and haven't used it much at all yet. I bought it from Home Depot rental for a STEAL!! It works very well in our red clay as long as it hasn't been weeks since rain.

I pull it with my MINI-Z, which I know is gonna be hard on it. I plan on upgrading to a Super-Z next year, and depending on the aeration business I get, I may look at another option for pulling it next year also.

10. rodfather