Aerator purchase advice please...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fiveoboy01, Oct 8, 2007.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yah yah I know, do a search.

I just don't want to:)

I did two days of aerating. Grossed a LOT of $... I don't own an aerator. I rented two Ryan Lawnaire Vs and myself and my partner went at it.

I'm not going to explain why, cause you guys know why, but I was beat to hell.

I'm buying an aerator next year. Maybe two. I figure I'll double or triple my number of aerations next year, maybe more, becuase I have realized it's a money maker(well I sort of already knew that), and I'm going to be pushing it hard.

Fill me in guys, what should I buy? Preferably something I can ride on or something. I was looking at the Turfco ones, they look like nice units, hydro drive and you can use a sulky. But I don't know a whole lot about aerators and I'd like to hear what you guys think.

I'm not going to use one of those man-eating Lawnaires next year.:help:

2. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

L.T Rich Z-core, Its the most productive.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Hmm, I saw an ad for that thing in Turf, I think.

Do they have a website?

Do you use one or have you ever used one?

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a couple of Plugr's...they are nice units.

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Lesco has a split drive its made by Classen

I have classens they generate thousands, they make a split drive model and are steerable without damaging turf. Ya the regular no split drive models beat the crap out of you. I run mine just a C-hair above idle or I am spent by noon. In all seriousness if you choose to buy and are going to do alot go for a lesco or classen split drive. I am sure others are fine as well but I cant comment on them I just have classen

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I also took 1 extra tine and installed it onto a piece of electrical conduit to hand aerate corners.

Hey 5-O I have a crap load of extra tines if you want to put one on a pole for the corners I will give you one. Just pm me your address don't worry about postage its no big deal

7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Yup. I have the PL800, and it doesn't beat the tar out of me like the others I've used.

8. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Since you have a ztr, i would buy a nice tow-behind. AND also a self propelled like a blue bird.

When I do aerations, I do the large areas with the tow-behind, and all the edges and corners with the small one.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a small Mits 15hp diesel with a Classen Cat 1 3 pt 40" core aerator. Great for large areas and even some smaller lawns. The 3 Point up and down capability makes it quick, its not a hydro which would be even better but it is still an easy machine to use.
    I learned to buy that because of EXACTLY the way you felt the next day.

I guess you have to look at the big picture. A WB like a Plugr is excellent for small to mid lawns. A tow behind type is the way to go for acreage. Both make bucks. Good Luck.

10. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

Yes they have a website (L.t Rich.com) or (Z-spray.com) I love the machine its the most versatile machine I have ever owned. It has a top speed of 9 M.P.H and can get in some pretty tight areas. I purchased the spreader attachment & the seeding attachment. I aerated and seeded a 2 acre field in around one hour & that includes going around trees and getting into small areas with my small aerator. If you email them you probaly wont get a response--I would call them & make it in the middle of the day.