1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aerator Sandals...Do they really work...are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Ecoscape01, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I figured to start out my first year this season, I would offer all of my customers a free aeration with their first mow. Just a little something to impress my customers and set my company apart from my much larger competition. Thing is, I've never used them before and I would immagine that wearing sandals with 3/4 inch spikes might become very laborous after a while. If it wouldn't be too much of a burden, and if it is effective, than I think my customers would be impressed and it might help for word of mouth referrals. Got any insight? Am I just crazy:hammerhead:
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

you are wasting your time......effective aeration typically involves 1/2" plugs pulled out to a depth of 2-3"..........
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Ecoscape are you serious about being a LCO? Proper aeration for turf care involved removing core or plugs like DRM stated.

It might be worth your while to study and learn about organic care.
  4. Ecoscape01

Well research can be decieving. For example, scholars have boasted about organic weed and feed but some pros on this site have said that organic weed and feed doesn't work like traditional pesticedes so I figure before I even investigate something, I'll just ask the pros if it's even worth it first. As always, Thanks for the info

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Thatz funny.
  6. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

That is pretty dang funny.

It seems that putting spikes on your feet and calling it aeration has a few problems. By making a hole without removing a core you would actually be promoting soil compaction instead of alleviating it. You will be pushing soil around the holes closer and tighter together.
  7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever seen the big sheeps foot rollers used to compact roadways before paving? Imagine them on a much smaller scale and on your feet. Understand what I am saying.
  8. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

This "free aeration"..........would it involve you doing wind sprints up and down their lawn. This would certainly set you apart from the much larger competition with there big expensive aeration equipment.
  9. NJLAWN#1

NJLAWN#1 LawnSite Member

THIS POST MADE MY DAY, I'M LAUGHIN MY ASS OFF:drinkup: :hammerhead:
  10. Ecoscape01

I was pretty "green" (no pun intended) and had a much different vision for my company when i posted that. As long as it still continues to make people laugh though I guess it's a good thing