Aerator vs. Power/Slit seeder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by peeweezr, Sep 25, 2001.

1. peeweezr

peeweezr LawnSite Member

So I go down to my local rental place to aerate the lawn and the guy at the rental place says if I am going to overseed a fescue lawn then it would be better to use a power seeder instead of aerating and then overseeding with a rotary spreader? I am no expert, so I will ask the experts here. I have done a few searches for power seeders and I am somewhat perplexed now. What is the best approach to overseeding an existing fescue lawn? Is this guy just blowing smoke or is a power/slit seeder the way to go? Hope I have the terms right-slit/split/power seeder? Thanks,

peeweezr:confused:

2. Use both. Aeration should be done first, then do your slit seeding.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The associate of that company you spoke with is combining both services into one.

If you are Over-Seeding then you would core aerate the turfgrass first. This will allow your seed and fertilizer to have direct contact with the soil and the nutrients can be absorbed by the root zone much quicker.

If you are Slice-Seeding then you would use a power rake to slice the first layers of turf and a seed hopper would distribute the seed from the machine. The only broadcasting necessary with this step would be to apply your fert.

If you do not have the seed hopper to distribute the seed then you would want to aerate using the over-seed method for optimum results.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

5. peeweezr

peeweezr LawnSite Member

Thanks!!...as the three stooges once said, "that's super soivice!"

peeweezr:D

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Seed to soil contact is what grows grass, if you can get your hands on a Ryan/Mataway overseeder you will save money in seed and have a happy customer if Mother Nature cooperates.

Broadcasted seed becomes 90% birdfeed if it doesnt have contact with the soil. The Ryan is the best of the overseeders. Dont neglect the aeration anyway to get more cores of dirt to the surface.

Last but not least don't forget to give the bumper guarantee.:D

7. peeweezr

peeweezr LawnSite Member

Ok..so what my understanding now is that if I could get my hands on a Ryan/Mataway overseeder this would be my best bet because it allows for maximum seed/soil contact. I didn't ask the guy at the rental store what the price of the slit seeder was since I had it in my mind to rent the aerator and then spread the seed after that and drag the ground with a piece of chain link fence after that. I saw a picture of one of these Ryan/Mataway overseeders. It looks like it would cost the same price as a new car??!! Geeezzz......Are all overseeders basically the same? I want to make sure if I go this route that I am not renting the Yugo of overseeders and have a lawn that looks like a bad hair transplant!

peeweezr:alien:

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

peeweezr,

The Ryan/Mataway overseeder is a man killer. I would suggest you pratice with it on your own lawn befor using it on a customers. I learned the hard way, what works for one guy dosen't always work for the other. The rougher the ground is the worse it works.

Gene

9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here, the rental places only have the cheap, bluebird overseeders, and I don`t like how they operate.
    I am interested in the hydro drive model that lesco has though. Has anyone used this machine, how does it work??

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow Money...Don't know about a Lesco Hydro-drive aerator, but I just bought the Split-Drive and can't say enough about it. The thing may not turn on a dime, but if you start on the outside perimeter and work your way to the center in circles the machine rocks! It takes little effort to turn and actually can make wider turns on its own. You still need to lift and turn like the Bluebird if you want to go up and down via zero-turn.

PeeWeezer...Overseeding and slitseeding are two different services. They way I see it...if the lawn is in good shape, relatively speaking, overseeding is the way to go. As I believe Gene said...that slit seeder will tear you up. Core aeration does a good job.