1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

aerator vs. sprinkler

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kirk brown, Apr 3, 2006.

1. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

i`m doing my first aeation this week and the customer has buried sprinkler lines. will the aerator dig deep enough to damage this?
  2. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

With a properly installed sprinkler system you should have no problems. Make sure all the heads are marked. That will cause damage. I have the homeower mark them out.
  3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Tell them upfront that you are not liable for damage for inproperly installed irrigation or unmarked heads and have them sign it. I just cut a line and it costs money to get it fixed.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You better also ALWAYS make sure that the valve boxes, electrical lines and any other thing within 6" of the grass is noted. This is especially true for the nice little invisible dog fences that people so love for rover. You will absolutely SHREAD one of these as they are only installed within an inch of the grass.
    You may also want to inquire as to if the neighboring properties have a dog fence also or else be very sure where the property lines run. A proper signed disclaimer and up front info to the customer prevents many problems. Good Luck.
  5. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

We provide our customers with custom flags from blackburn flags, it has our company name, phone, and services. They are printed both side , corrugated plastic and last 4ever. We hand out bundles of 25 prewrapped for them to keep. we order 2500 or so every year or 2 for new customers, its great adevertising too. We dont warranty lines tho jsut heads
  6. oslo

oslo LawnSite Member

As long as the sprinkler heads are marked you should be fine. In my years of aerating the only problem I've ever had was those "Invisible Dog Fences".

Always make sure that not only the customer, but the next door neighbors don't have these, and if they do, have them mark it.
  7. RLSLandscaping

RLSLandscaping LawnSite Member

see if the town offers free ground locating...I worked in florida this past winter doing irrigation with my bud who just got licensed and went on his own...anytime we used the trencher he'd call in a "locate" for the specific address they ask a few questions couple days and it's all flagged off and they become liable for any damage (utilities)...that's what can kill ya..the county did this for free, because it saves them a ton of $$..as far as the sprinkler heads go these guys are right on if the system is installed improperly (too shallow, pvc & or "funny" pipe, like a plastic hose) that's when you could have a problem but like they said it wouldn't be yer fault...the pipes should be 10-12...and let the homer owner mark those heads..(I bet 5$ the home owner won't be able to turn the system on to flag the heads:) IF U GET STUCK TRYING TO TURN THE SYSTEM on i can walk ya through it if ya need help!! let me know!
  8. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Utilities markout services mark underground utilities: Gas, water, sewer, electric, telephone, cable.

I've never heard of one marking out private services such as irrigation.

And it's state law in most states (maybe all) that you call the service before you dig. If you don't, you are responsible for any utilities you damage. It could also save your life. One of my grounds crew hit a 480V burried line when driving in a street sign once. Thankfully he didn't get hurt but we had quite a time getting it shut off and making repairs. But that's for digging, not aerating.