Aerator ? what do you do with the plugs

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by BryPaulD, Apr 9, 2005.

1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. Someone once asked about the advantages of a single vs. double sided hedge trimmer. Daaaaaaaaaaaaa one cuts one way, the other cuts both. Talk about a dumb question.

2. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

I guess you guys never worked at a golf course, they sure as heck don't leave the cores down there.

Did you ever think of using a solid tine aerator so it will leave no cores?

I wonder what would happen with solid tines that were vibrated when running over a lawn?

When you renovate a lawn do you like to aerate than thatch or thatch than aerate?

What type of aerator works best?

When you tell someone they are stupid do you feel better about yourself? Do you really think your effort is helping anyone....

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

How bout just taking it a little easier? We are all here to learn.
    Thanks.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeh, what she said /\.

Seriously though, just leave them on the ground.

5. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Leave em is what I do...& they will disappear in a few days. However if the client reallly wants them gone right away & willl pay for the extra work ....drag an old piece of carpet around behind your mower or a chain striping kit would probably crumble them up as well.

6. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

It's spring, the scenery is beautiful and I am in picture taking mode :D

Lawn.JPG

7. JBird

JBird LawnSite Member

We all asked questions to begin with and some of us still, to remind us of what we knew yesterday, but have forgotten today. When I first came here I knew nothing of the search feature. So all you who want, ask away! There's ALOT I don't know, but I may know just what you'd like to know.
    The difference between ignorance and stupidity is the willingness to ask, listen and learn.

Jason
    Green Thumb Mowing Service

8. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I was just poking a little fun. No harm intended.

Seriously, as the others have said, leave them. They'll break down.

But in response to the no stupid question line. I believe it was Mr Garison on South Park that once said "There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people"

And yes, I'm one of them at times.

9. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

We have a machine we run right behind the aerator that vaccuums up the plugs, they are then mixed around in a cylinder to break them up and then sold back to the customer as topsoil at a very good price might I add.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Cores are left on all lawns except for golf courses for a couple of reasons. Since we are here to learn we have to also teach the customer. A golf course cannot have cores everywhere the ball rolls. Most customers are not golf courses.
    Cores are a pain to deal with is an excuse but not one a homeowner wants to hear if they want the plugs removed. Dragging a fence or blowing them around is really not necessary and actually counterproductive to the aerating process. There is a technical explanation that can be used which has some merit.The pulled core breaks down over time and the microbial activity that is produced actually assists in the breakdown of thatch.
    Of course it isn't going to make a heavily thatched lawn healthy again but there is good reason that aerators don't have baggers. Good Luck.