1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aerator-What do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Connection, Sep 9, 2010.

1. The Lawn Connection

The Lawn Connection LawnSite Member

Just wondering what everyone uses to aerate yards. I would love to have a unit that I ride but not this year. Looking to do more than this spring with out renting a 27" walk behind unit.

What are you using walk behind unit, pull behind core drum, pull behind core that you put weights on. Sorry no spike here, only looking for a core unless someone can tell me different.

What do you think of these a a pull behind core http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...-D28X-_-202327202&locStoreNum=732&marketID=19
  2. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

we have used bluebirds, plugr, clausen, and ryan, the newer ryans are by far my favorite to use. i broke my leg last spring and had 3 surgeries that summer, this spring i was nervous about aerating but the ryan turned out to be very easy to turn and control compared to the others, and the plugs are the best i have ever had from a walk behing unit.

3. PremierCrew2

PremierCrew2 LawnSite Member

It looks like it would be good if you add enough weight. We use a Turfco walk behind and LT Rich Z Plug.
  4. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

We use....
    well i just sold the whole set up a day ago but used if for the last time today here are some pics!

it mounts to the front of the mower
    then a hydro actuator pulls it up and down
    only problem is when the yard is really hard it is hard to punch through
    So today i had my worker sit on it worked really well! :walking:

this setup works REALLY well if the ground is wet/ soft

7 (1).jpg

6 (1).jpg

5 (1).jpg

4 (1).jpg

Attached Files: