1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigkyle, Mar 2, 2006.

1. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

ok i have seen posts about this service but i have never done this service with any company i have worked for.what good does this do for ur clients lawn and what would be the best equipment to do this job.thanks
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Core Aeration is the process of making thousands of small holes in the turf. These holes allow fertilizer, water and air to reach the root zone quicker, resulting in new growth and increased root development.

These holes will also open up the soil and help reduce thatch build up and soil compaction, allowing your lawn to breath and grow.

The best equipment for core aeration is a commerecial core aerator.
    Lesco rents them
    also you can get them at rental places but most of these do not do a good job.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

the main function of aerating is relieving compaction, and it does also allow for better air-gas exchage, water, etc.

I will disagree with the rental place statement, most stores carry very good equipment for residential aeration.
  4. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

would uy guys say its hard to do this to a lawn
  5. BSDeality

not really hard, it depends on the size of the lawn and what equipment you have to do it. obviously you're not going to use a 20" machine on 3 acres of turf, nor would you use a 60" towable unit on a 3,000sqft property. you need the right tools for the job.
  6. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

another ? as im looking at them on ebay at i see there is a hand one.how well would they work.my lawns are small or r they just junk
  7. BSDeality

I would get a "core" aerator. the spike ones only provide short term results and eventually will lead to more compaction. you have to pull the soil out of the ground, not just jam a rod into the ground to make the hole.
  8. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

sorry baout all my ? but how often do u have to do this to a lawn
  9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

They work well in areas that are too small for a 20" aerator. IOW, they're not really worth considering since I can get the 20" aerator into some pretty tight areas.

It's recommended that you aerate your lawn twice a year, but that's not practiced too often...if any. Once/year (preforably in the fall) will yeild good results.
  10. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

In addition, the plugs make a nice top dressing when overseeding the lawn if you break them up with a roller or slice seeder. Is aerating hard? Probably depends on the individual. For me, for some reason (age?), core aerating with my walk behind just wears me out. It seems easy to do when I'm doing it, but afterward: Wow. Major soreness.