Aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rockysmith, Dec 7, 2007.

1. rockysmith

rockysmith LawnSite Member

I am looking to purchase a good aerator that will pull cores. Any suggestions on brands would be appreciated

2. ACEMowing

ACEMowing LawnSite Member

Check out the Plugr brand... that's what we've found to be the best... they are very easy to operate and do a great job.

3. rockysmith

Thanks for the info. I'm needing an aerator that will pull clay soil plugs

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

As much as I like my Plugr, I believe a more traditional core aerator (Classen, Lesco, Ryan, etc.) would do better in hard soils such as clay. When conditions are pretty good, nothing pulls cores nicer than a Plugr (even in moist clay). But when things get hard (during dry periods, etc.), the Plugr often bounces on top of the ground more than most I've run.

5. ACEMowing

The Plugr is good in heavy clay soils... it operates off a crankshaft design and pounds the tine into the soil instead of just rolling over it like other brands.

6. rockysmith

Thanks for the replies. I suppose in my original question I should have added does the core aeration process work or is it a waste of time. How does it help the grass?

7. ACEMowing

Check our site at:

http://www.acemowing.com/lawn_aerating.htm

8. rockysmith

Thanks Ace. That answered my question. You have an awesome website.

9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

My area is epidemic with rocks. Lets just say rototilling can be a real chore at times. :hammerhead:

Which aerator is best in rocky soil? Or should I ask tolerates rocky soil the best? Replacement core tips etc. :confused: