1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Jun 2, 2002.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I know its alittle early but i just want to start researching these. I was wondering if there is an aeraator that my w/b could pull behind or something. I know theres a company like JRCRO or something liek that that has something like this but is this commercial quality and does it put enough plugs in. I could get alot of jobs from doing this but just wondering if this all would be worth to do or just pass it up.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know how in the world someone could design a pull behind aerator for a WB mower!!! How would you walk and operate/pull(or even stand) if you had a velke???

Secondly, even if it was possible, I'm not so sure I would want to be wedged between these two heavy pieces of equipment. Best bet is to get a tow behind for a rider or a WB aerator too.

just my 2 cents.
  3. grassyfras

I though i saw somewhere an aeratior that goes in front of the W/b would that work?
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, they are out there...but they ain't worth a s*** though. They're spike aerators, not core aerators.
  5. Phil Egnatz

Phil Egnatz LawnSite Member

jr co aerators
    i like them the hooker aerators are not tines so the do a better job than some think
  6. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think the aeators in front of walk behinds have enough wait to pull out a good plug. Since most people like to wet the yard down before you show up, a big problem is your going to be walking across all those plugs. muddy feet makes heavy feet makes me sleepy.
  7. jmarkwood

jmarkwood LawnSite Member

Couldn't you stand on a tow behind aerator like a velke?
  8. grassyfras

Thanks guys for the replys

PHil do you use these hooker aerators. i checked out the site and they look ok but im worried about the tines if they would do a good job and they said they get 6 holes for a square foot so would I have to go over the yard twice?
  9. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

More holes the better. Can't put too many holes into a soil. County extension services across the nation recommend minimum of 15 - 20 holes per square foot.

10. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I just had an image of a walkbehind with one of those big green aerators behind it in my mind. You could build a platform above it to sit on. You could use your own weight instead of water too. I know it sounds crazy, but all inventions start out like that.