Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Movinfr8, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

Have been trying to convince my wife that I NEED an aerator, but she has'nt forgotten that i just spent 2g's on a mower. so, I need ot keep it cheap enough to pay off with a few uses. Has anyone ever personally used one of these...
    or a similar inexpensive unit?
    I do not need to hear that "because it didn't cost $3,000 it is worthless". I want to know from people who have them.
    Thanks in advance,
  2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

How many aerating jobs/year do you do? Can you group them together and rent a machine for a day or two and knock them all off untill you can afford a quality machine? We currently do that and it usually costs us about $75 for a day and can make about $600-$800 on it.
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not used one but you can check it out in person at Lowes.

P.S. Anyone know how much wieght you can put on one without bending the tines?
  4. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

Rent one before you buy. It works for me when I buy a new car.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

rent one well worth the money- that thing is not going to last too long to light duty.
  6. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on offering aeration to some of my customers for the first time this fall. I too was interested in buying one but can't justify the cost right now. I'll be renting.....

Two questions:

1) How much would you guys charge for a 15k sq. ft. lawn? I would be using a Lesco which I believe is 44 inches wide. Can get it for $85/day.

2) Do you break up the plugs, rake them up, or leave them lay? I've heard of all three methods......

7. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

Battags--You have to find out what your market price is for the aeration service in your area. If you're charging the right price then the $85 to rent a machine will be nowhere near what you make on the job(s). Rent the machine for a day and then line up all your jobs for that day and you'll make nothing but gold. The dealer I rent my Ryan aerator from gave me a booklet on how to market this service--great info in the book--see if you can get your hands on one.
  8. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on doing them all over one weekend. For $85 I can pick it up at 4pm on a Friday and have it back by 8am on Monday. Cant beat that and I should be able to get a pretty good amount of work done. I still have no idea what to charge per account........:rolleyes: