Aerators: 19inch versus 25inch ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bdoss123, Aug 29, 2006.

1. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Is there any times when people who own the larger walk behind aerators wish that they had a small one for better manuverability? I can only afford one or the other, and am of course leaning towards a larger one for the added productivity.
    Anyone who prefers the smaller units?

- BD

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Get both but buy the bigger one first.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in the same boat you are. Getting tired of renting and then having to cram all my smaller jobs into a set period of time. Just curious, what models are you looking at and where are you looking? Thanks:)

4. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Well I've been considering taking the plunge on the Classen 25 Split Drive and the Turfco Turnaer26 versus picking up a Classen or Lesco 18/19 inch solid drive unit.

I've looked at both used and new stuff. I found a Classen 25 Split Drive for $1800 in the local classifieds, barely used. Also found a Classen Ca-18 in great shape for sale at the local Home Despot for $800. I know I'd be happier with the 25 in the long run, but didn't want to hinder myself from being able to negotiate beds/trees.

Any more ideas from anyone?

BD

5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Size is not always relative to production. A larger unit that you cannot use on a smaller lawn will cost you more in lost production on small lawns than you make on the big ones.

AT Turfco the small TurnAer 4 is most productive on lawns 10,000 sq ft and smaller. It is very manuverable for tight areas yet will go up to 6 mph in larger areas. You can trim out the tight areas on foot then put on the riding chariot and do the big parts. Now the larger unit the TurnAer 26 is just on good on small areas. Too big too heavy and does not get in and out of tight areas. But put it on a big commercial property that is too small for a tractor and it will do over an acre an hour.

Look at your properties and get the unit that works best for your operation. OR you can send me an e-mail at Turfcobob@aol.com with a phone number and I will call you and review aerators with you. I've been at it 31 years this year.