1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aerators...all created equal

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Florida Gardener, Mar 20, 2013.

1. What brand do you guys recommend or does it not matter?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

WB, tow behind, 3 point hitch or golf course applications...?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Exact Rototilling

A Ryan 28 or Plugr 800 series will flat out pull more plugs in a single pass but if you can't get extra $ by running those it chews up profits since the units cost more and have more maintenance and burned up tines etc.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. What do I think of billygoat?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Exact Rototilling

Not too much :laugh:

Based on what others have said.....
  6. Cedar Valley Landscapes

Cedar Valley Landscapes LawnSite Member

I have used a billygoat for years and never had any complaints. The only thing that ever went wrong with it was just general maintenance issues like belts, chains, etc. In fact I believe I bought it in 2003 and it is still running strong. Gave it to my buddy when I sold my business in 2008 and he is still using it to this day. Just my two cents.
  7. nozzy

nozzy LawnSite Member

I've been very happy with my Bluebird. I've had it for over 10 years with very minor repairs.
  8. What have others said?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Exact Rototilling

Do a search for it.

Also do a search on here comparing the BlueBird 520 vs my Lawn Solutions/ Toro/ Exmark 21 WB in plug quality. Many thought that was pretty cool how the Lawn Solutions pulled better plugs.

....then I did a side by side of those compared to my Plugr 850 and it flat out smoked them both in a single pass.

Given the time and opportunity I'd like to do side by side caparisons with all the other WB aerators on the market.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Alot of it depends on how much aerating you do. When I started I bought a near new Bluebird 530a for 800$. Its served me well for 5 years and still works like it should. The problem with the machine its will wear you out, other than that it pulls plugs has good or better than other machines. If your going to do a lot of areating Id gor for the exmark standon, but at 9000$ it would almost have to be full time areating.

The Bluebird has a drum and the weigt of the machine pulls the plugs, higher end machines have a crankshaft and the engine power pulls the plugs. I think Exactrototilling is pretty much up on the crankshaft models. Since I do less than 2000$ per year in areating Ive never considered moving into a nicer machine.