Aerators, and Renovators

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by BeautifulBlooms, Oct 17, 2007.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at purchasing an aerator for next year as well as possible some sort of slitseeder or the turf revitalizer, I havent demoed anything yet.

I am interested in what people think about all the varieties, I am leaning towards a ryan aerator, and the turf revitalizer. I am wondering if the revitalizer can be used as a dethatcher or power rake just without dropping seed, I am wondering how effective the blades are on the machine, or do I need a seperate machine for power raking (dethatching)?

2. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i can only comment on what i own/ use--so you can add it
    your analysis.
    i have the lesco renovator or better known as slice seeder

works pretty good and been fairly reliable, strongly recommend
    core aerating b4 slice seeding- helps loosen the soil and also
    helps hold the seed in case of slopes or wash outs.
    the blades wear out so fast and are expensive and time consuming
    to flip/change.--be aware that most slice seeders act as
    a good dethatcher at the same time, so a lawn with alot
    of thatch or grub damage - will require cleanup afterward.

lesco/classen 26 in walk behind aerator

pulls very nice plugs 2-3 inch, good on tough soils
    been very reliable- except for a cracked frame year 2
    welded up and been good since. a little slow ground speed
    and its heavy difficult to manuver.

new ryan la5 26 in walk behind aerator

pulls average plugs 1-2 1/2", not good on tough soils,
    still fairly new for this year--no problems, very fast
    ground speed , easy to operate and easier to lift and turn
    than the lesco unit

something to consider with the machines
    sprinkler heads must be marked with a slice seeder, the lesco seeder
    has sliced and diced and even extracted heads on me b4.

the walk behind drum style aerators generally will not harm sprinkler
    heads- having been aerating for 11 years withour marking now- with
    no incidents.

i have seen and heard of head damage from punch/plunge style
    aerators and from large ride on/ tow behind units

g/l

3. BNR LAWN SERVICES

BNR LAWN SERVICES LawnSite Member

I purchased a Turfco Turn Aer 4 this spring and have been very happy with it and recommend it. The split drive allows for easy turning of unit around mulch beds and does not tear up the turf. Pulls approx 3 inch plug in moist turf. Works good in dry ground but does not pull as deep. It has power to the front tires when tines are out of ground for easy moving and easy loading. Came with Honda GX 4 HP engine that is great.

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had a lesco split drive aerator( same as classen split drive) for 4 years now and it does a real good job, even in dry conditions. The split drive makes it easy to turn at the end of a pass.

This year has been soo dry that in september I was waiting for rain so I could do my aerations and seedings.
    I have a dealer close to me and he let me rent the turf revitilizer for a day and if I liked it, he would take the rental charge off the purchase price. Not a bad deal.
    The revitilizer did an excellent job of seeding and working the soil and seed together. It is simple to operate. It also does a great job when used as a power rake. I have done so many slit seeding and power raking jobs because I have something I can depend on to do the job.I think I made a wise decision to buy it....

5. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

does the slit seeder do a good job of aerating?

im asking because i did a couple aerations this year and for each customer i overseeded as well. if this does the job of aerating and seeding at the same time i think that would be a better choice than an aerator

6. avnorm

avnorm LawnSite Member

On sale is the heavy duty Turf-aire.com aerator pull behind. I should have gotten the electric-hydraulic lift. Awesome weight 0f 655#s over 6 tine wheels; 36 inch.

Great aeration in dry and wet ground.

7. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

Clear Cut,
    Aeration and slit seeding are two different practices. With aeration you are removing a core to reduce compaction and open up the turf for water, nutrients, air, etc. Slit seeders are used to cut a slit for seed to make seed to soil contact. You would not want to replace aeration with slit seeding.

8. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

yea thats what i thought...but i figured that if the slit seeder made slits in the ground that it would give some aeration as well. thanks for clearing that up turfco

9. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

There is no comparison between aerating and slitseeding. The slit does nothing to reduce compaction but depending on the machine it may help to remove some thatch. Aeration is the only way to go when working with clay or hard soils, if you are also dealing with thin turf then use a slit seeder to get additional grass into the turf canopy.

10. tralfaz

tralfaz LawnSite Member

avnorm, what are you pulling the turf-aire with?