1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

aerators, Bluebird or Billygoat

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Quail Creek LC, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I'm shopping for a new walk behing aerator. Both are about the same priced. Which would you prefer?? Thnaks Guys

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Are they self propelled.
  3. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

yes, self propelled.
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Billygoat, does a good job and is a solid machine. I can't speak about the Bluebird, I've never used that brand.
  5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I have rented the above brands. IMO, this one beats them hands down. If you are looking for a aerater look no futher. http://www.ims-ipc.com/rocksolid/pl600.html The Rock Solid Plugr. I bought mine from my friend Eric, [65hoss] and have had no complaints.
    He even offered to buy it back from me on Monday.:laugh:

Do a search here on this one. You will not be disappointed. Produces professional results. Reciprocating action....nothing at all like the 2 mentioned above.
  6. ronniez71

ronniez71 LawnSite Member

I also have a pl600 with the honda motor!! Awsome machine i have about 60 1/4 acre lots to do got about 25 done so far!! cost was 2800 for mine last year. great results tough machine hardly no maint.
  7. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

Check out Turfco's full line of aerators at Turfco.com. We manufacture and sell them Direct to you.
    We are running some great spring specials.
    Contact us at 1-800-679-8201.
    Tim Gray
    Turfco Mfg.
  8. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I sprung for the Plugr Hydro, and am enjoying it so far, from what I have read on this site, I will enjoy it for 10 years or more to come. Mowing is still easier than aerating tho, altho I make more $$$ per hour doing the aeration.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I think there are a LOT better areators out there than the bluebird or the billygoat. Classen with their split drive (also on lesco's) Ryan, Turfco, and now the cam drive models like the plugr that are almost as easy to operate as running a walkbehind mower.

I have read numerous places that the cam type areators just don't punch as many holes, nor as deep as drum type areators. I guess until I can personally compare the 2 side by side for myself, I won't know the truth... If I had my druthers I'd get a cam drive, and a self propelled at that. It's a piece of machinery that you will get service from for 10 years, better make a good decision!
  10. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

The turfco 42" tow behind is godly. all yo uneed is a 50.00 hitch for your zero turn. its 6 times faster than a ryan 19" and prob 4 tiems faster than the 26" ryan. BTW we have 4 ryans also but use basically 1 26" the 19" are way to slow for our buisiness. The ryans however we had great luck with and the turfco was prob our best investment in eqpt PERIOD