aerators...need one

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Cut n Edge Lawncare, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Cut n Edge Lawncare

Cut n Edge Lawncare LawnSite Member

;) I am looking to buy an aerator, this is something I have never offered and dont have much experience with. I am looking for the best for the money. I have been told core type are better than tyne type.

Can someone point me in the right direction and or recommend some to me. I need it to be effective and productive. I would like to know how much money I can expect to spend.

Thanks in advance

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just be sure that the unit has a split side drive so you can turn the darn thing. We have a 3 year old Billygoat and it is a big load to turn around, almost a useless machine. It is great in straight lines and it is a core type.

3. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If you buy new you can expect to drop alot id say between 2-4 grand you can get some cheeper but for the most part of what i have seen with them you get what you pay for

4. Cut n Edge Lawncare

Cut n Edge Lawncare LawnSite Member

i want quality so I know I got to spend some cash. Any recommendations as to what brand and or model? thanks

5. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Classen TA-25................best investment ever

6. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

We run a Husqvarna/Blue bird 5 core width aerator. Its works very well. It has free wheeling outer sets which makes it alot easier to steer than other non-steering types.

The Blue Bird/Husqvarna aerators (5 or 7 core width) with Honda engines are very good and provided a slightly less expensive alternative to split-drive aerators.

Your other choice is to go for something like Turfco's split-drive aerators or the Classen split-drive aerators. However, I haven't ever used them so I can't comment on their performance.

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Around here everybody uses the Ryan aerators.

You all may laugh but we use an old tow behind and it has worked great for yearsssssssss. It can be a little tricky in tight situations but thats no big deal. Never will we use a hand aerator again!!!!

[​IMG]

8. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

I HAVE USED BLUE BIRD, HUSQVARNA AND RYAN.........THEY ARE ALL GARBAGE COMPARED TO THE CLASSEN SPLIT DRIVE TA-25. THEY RUN AROUND $2500-$3000. YOU'LL THANK ME IN THE LONG RUN.

9. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

another vote for the classen ta-25 no comaprison to any of the others once you get use to it that split drive will save you tons of work and its kind of cool how you can adjust the depth it plugs too. We have had the machine i think 3 years now it has the lil 4hp honda man is that thing a champ

10. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember a bunch of people last year talking about the plugger, I think that was the name anyway. How does that compare to the classen?