Aerators (or however you spell that word)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Swampbeast, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Hello all! I am looking to buy a new aerator this spring, what type would you recommend, why would you recommend it, what types would you NOT recommend? Any tips on technique would be more than welcome! Thanks in advance to all that reply!

:cool:

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, that is spelled correct, good for you. To be quite honest, I think it is pothetic when someone in this industry, and trying to make a living at it, can't spell a simple word that they rely on making money from, it's a joke.

Anyways, to the actual question now. I just purchased a Ryan Lawnaire V. It works pretty good. Everyone here will have their thoughts on models but all will suggest the "core type" for best results. I also have the JRCO hooker aerator for my ZTR. Works ok but very limited as to where it can be used.

3. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

The best type of aerator is a "core" aerator. Wether it be a walkbehind, towbehind, or front mount. The JRCO "Hooker" aerator is a "spoon" aerator, not a core aerator, so it just lifts small spoonfuls of soil up as opposed to pulling actual plugs and then depositing them on top. It would probably work well on sandier soils, but not loamy or clay soils. If you wanted to look into any type of aerator I would suggest looking at TURFVENT by Feldman. They have both tow behind and front mounts that give a good amount of cores per sq ft and the more cores in one pass the better the result and less times you have to go over it. If you are looking for a walkbehind, I would probably look at the Plugr aerator ... JMHO.

4. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

http://www.rpm-co.com/prod08.htm

Contact Dave at rpm sales at the above link. He carries the Classen brand and they work great. i have a Ryan lawnaire IV and the thing is murder. I am going to pick myself up a clasen in the spring from Dave. His handle is capt devo here on lawnsite. The link above should take you to his page with the classens. Dave will save you hundreds and have it shipped to your door. Great guy to deal with.

scott

5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look at the Plugr aerators also.

http://www.ims-ipc.com/rocksolid/

They use ***-driven tines. I'm looking forward to getting one for next year. Hoss must be real busy with leaves or is sleeping in this morning. :D He has a couple of plugrs and swears by them.

On edit *** = Kam with a "c". Don't know why the word is bleeped.

6. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you all. Another question, I have been looking at the Plugr and the Classens, those are the two I have tentatively narrowed it down to. Now which would be the better deal? Which is more reliable?
    Here is what I would be using it for, maybe 30-35 yards a year, twice each. (most of my customers dont care enough about thier lawn to pay the extra $$ required for this)
    Another question, how would you charge for this? Three times what I charge to mow the same yard? Per square foot?
    thanks again!

:cool:

Thanks for the link by the way....

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a Classen 26" with a Honda 5.5 ?? this fall. I like it alot, nice to be able to steer it around.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Real busy is an understatement lately. We've been bombarded!:dizzy:
    We've put a lot of hours on the plugrs and they have done an excellent job.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

How much does the PLUGR cost?

How does it react when the tine hits real hard soil?

I still use a pull behind.

10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 3 pt hitch ryan I use with the Kioti. But I still have to use a walk behind for tite spots. I've used a Ryan LAwnaire, it does a great job, but will work you to death.

Both the core aerators have to be used when the soil is damp and soft, here in this clay type soil.

About 3 times the price of mowing is a good place to start, but there are many factors that will affect the time it takes, terrain, and the hardness of the soil. I always go over a lawn a least 4 times, changing directions.

I try to price it now with fertilizing, overseeding, or liming. If I figure 4 cents per SqFt to overseed with aerating, I can subtract out the amount for the seed, and ather materials, and the time and get a "cent per foot" price to aerate, I think this is better.

I got some infoon the "plugger", looks like a great set up, I believe the prices were 2500- 2600.00.

Another great piece of equipment is the aeravator. I will chew up rock hard clay type soil. I've read posts by members who love them.
    ;)