Aerators that can turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Aug 25, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I am new to aerating. Recently I rented a Ryan aerator. Small unit,but seem to be a moneymaker. Nonetheless the hardest part is turning, as you have to pick up the rear end then roll it, then start all over again, otherwise the turf rips. Are there aerators out there that turn without tearing the turf, or maybe should I go in circles rather than straight lines?

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

3. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

Sounds like you had the LA4. As you get better with it, you can turn it by leaning it on it's side around corners. Not a great way to do things, but . . .
    The Ryan La28 turns very easily, but is a wee bit more expensive. Does a far better job as well.

Alan

4. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Is the la model the "zero turn model", i heard from somewhere there was such a machine.

5. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

I got 2 of the LA28's and they turn on a dime and keep aerating while you turn. They doubled my aerating income because it cut down on employee fatigue and is more productive than other models like the one you used. Although more expensive it paid for itself.

6. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

If you have a Lesco near by, do yourself a favor and check out the Classen units. They have a split drive unit that is almost able to pull off zero turns (so close) simply by releasing a handle. Easiest aerator I have ever played with, kind of overwelming to look at though, it's huge!:)