Aerators (what type do you use)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AlpineLandscpMaint, Mar 14, 2003.

1. AlpineLandscpMaint

AlpineLandscpMaint LawnSite Member

I am considering purchasing an aerator this year. I have a Lazer Z. Does anyone use the Jrco Hooker Aerator? What do you like and dislike about it?
    I service 8,000 sqft lawns up to 3-4 acre properties, solo... Does anyone use there Z to pull an aerator?

2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

There was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. You probably will get more info. by doing a search.
    If you want a pull behind, try the Brinley that Home Depot sells. I bought one last fall and have been very impressed with it. You should buy solid concrete blocks to put in the tray. I put 5 in. It pulls up about a 3" plug.

3. AlpineLandscpMaint

what are you pulling it with and what size properties do you have?

4. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I pull it with a Polaris 400 ATV. Most of the properties are in the 8-10000 range. If I have smaller properties or ones with small gates I rent a WB but they beat the sh** out of you.

5. AlpineLandscpMaint

Did the search, looks like the Jrco is not a big favorite with Lawn Site regulars. I think the model you suggested would be a good start. A Lazer Z should be able to pull it fine. DO you ever get complants using a ATV on lawns?

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use a Lesco 48" pull behind. I'll add about 200lbs of weight in the tray. I pull it with a diesel Gator.

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

For my larger yards i use a 36" pull drum type core aerator. For smaller yards i have a walk behind motorized plugger.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Here we go again...

9. UTM-PIKE

UTM-PIKE LawnSite Member

Just bought the Brinley from Home Depot as well, its in the shop waiting for tomorrow morning. Best $200 ever spent. The hooker aerator is better suited for sandier soils, as so I have been told since I brought up the same topic a couple of weeks ago.

10. AlpineLandscpMaint

Thanks to those who responded. I appreciate your advice. I am going to check out the Home Depot model this week. And to those who say "here we go again or just do a search" If everything has been discussed before, Lawnsite should just go to a all search format and no discussion forums. Thanks again.