1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

aerators, which brand do you use and why

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grassman177, Mar 1, 2008.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we have three brands, older ryan, classen split drive, and hydro plugr. the guys all hate the classen because it is way heavier even without the weight bar even though it steers. they love the ryan it is light and easier to manuver. overall they also like the plugr but have hads problems withthe belt slipping and it wont drive. i have tightened it pretty tight but turning it alwasy slips. any advice on that and i want to know what u are useing and your luck. looked at the turfco new steerable 26in. what are your thgouhts on this peice of equipment, similar to the ryan i would assume but better with steering.
  2. grassman177

bump bump bump
  3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I'll bite. Though I was curious to see other responses. I own Bluebird and Plugr aerators. I like the Plugr, (it's a pl600) better, except it is slow, and it struggles up hills if the soil is too wet and soft. The Bluebird is ergonomically designed by Adolf Hitler to cause back pain and soreness. It is a decent enough machine so far as quality, but it will make you very sore after a day with it.
  4. grassman177

funny bit about the Adolf Hitler design/ really funny!!!!
  5. grassman177

anyone with the classen, or plugger. i really want to know about the steerable turfco. any troubles with this at all and how comfy to use all day
  6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I also have a Bluebird 530a, the reason I bought is because I got a near new one and ablut 1/3 the cost of a new one. It is fast and does a great job. However its defentally a war time event to use it. Its a real tank. Guess if I get rich and fameous I will get a ride on aerator.
  7. CrimsonLawnCare

CrimsonLawnCare LawnSite Member

My company will be going with a Billy Goat aerator, its a hell of alot easier to use, you dont have to lift it and turn it every time, you can actually go around stuff with it, overall just much easier on the operator
  8. grassman177

i think i saw those in turf, dont they have the big water tank on top and kinda look like a sod cutter from a distance
  9. Weekes

Weekes LawnSite Member

I use a Ryan and like it for the most part, very dependable and pulls good plugs . Hate aerating in general they are beasts, definitely sore after a day of use. Every year cant wait to fire up the mowers after aerating a ton of lawns
  10. grassman177

looking for more folks with experience with tu rfco. i guess i neede to be more clear. i have all of the three mentioned in my first post and what my guys think, i am trying to decide what to go with in the future to make my guys the happiest having to do that tiresome job . also anyone with plugger expereince. we just go this in fall and got to use it , seemed ok, but belt slippage was a problem. anyone??????? we all love the ryan by the way.