1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

aerators, which one ???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fyshstykr, Nov 8, 2005.

1. fyshstykr

fyshstykr LawnSite Member
    from zone 99

any suggestions on an aerator ?? Bluebird, Rocksolid, etc ???
    does anyone plant bulbs in fall & profit ??
    thanks J.P
  2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

RyanÂ’s are great for longevity; we have several that have been in service since 1996.But, they are a bear for the worker to operate, they get dogged tired over the course of a 10 hour aeration day.
  3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Ryan and Toro aerators have been our choice, dependable and plug well.
  4. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

Rocksolid Pluger! easy on the operator in comparison to the drum style aerators. :dizzy:
    Thats my two cents
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I must say,...we ARE just hearing more and mor good things about these "Plugr" machines. They sound like they're doing well. Does anyone have any negatives to imply about them? :)
  6. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

blue bird 530a works great but will wear you out after a long day
  7. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

I've got one of the older PL400's ser. # 00046, and since mine was made Source one bought the company. I bought mine used and after about 2 hours use the clutch cable that engages the cam broke. ordered a new one and got it in a couple of days and it worked fine, until this fall. the cable was starting to fray were it entered the cable cover so I called the supplier that sold the replacement to me for warranty replacement and got a call back stating that there was a "update Kit" from the factory, He gave me the toll free # and a contact name who turned out to be the assembly supervisor in Lincoln, NE.
    He sent me overnight the kit, 2 new cables and instructions with his hand written notes for installation on my model!
    All at NO CHARGE !!! These parts cost them almost nothing, but won them a customer for life!

8. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

I have a plugr pl800, Honda motor, for sale. 2005 model...still under waranty. Brand new tines. $1800.

9. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I knew someone with a plugr, so I could compare to my machine I use a classen split drive and think it is great. I can do 15-18/day and fatigue (sp) is not an issue.
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

The old style pluger is not self propelled. It will not do well on hills or going up hill. I heard that they have now come out with a model that will push itself but I have yet to try it. Other than that it is a great machine and pulls good plugs. And yes they have been great with customer service with me also.
    We always have to rent a Ryan IV for the hills and it works well but as Bill said it is killer on the operator.
    I would be interested to hear from people that have used the TurnAer unit for a season. Turf south did a test but it was done by a guy in Fla that does not do aeration and was all on flat land.