1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Keegan, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

What are some manufacturers of aerators? I'm in the market for one.
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Bluebird, ryan, classen, Rock-Solid Plugger, There are others but I am brain farting right now.
  3. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is a Billy-Goat

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Mower for Less,

How do you like your Billygoat? Does it turn easily? Does it wear you out like other aerators? I saw one at a trade show recently and it looked very well-built.
  5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I rented a Billy Goat this month and it is a lot better than a Bluebird. I would think it is a middle of the pack quality aerator. High end is Ryan, Rock Solid Pluger,etc.

Do you have the clients to justify one when you can just rent one.
  6. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

i have bluebird, but there is also toro,and don't forget the JRCO that hooks to ztr or ztwb
  7. NCLawnMedic

NCLawnMedic LawnSite Member

First Products Aera-vator. I don't think anything could aerate better
  8. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else using a classen? I just bought a new machine and I like it, but really have no experience with others.
  9. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have the experience with other aerators to tell you if it wears you out as much, the Billy Goat is the only one I have ever owned or used. But because of the 4 wheel design, I would have to say it is probably alot easier to use and turn than other aerators. Which means it probably is less fatiguing to use. At least that is what I hypothesised when I bought it. The thing I like is that the front axle is also a drive axle, so when you lift the spoons up, you still have power to turn it, which makes it very conveinient for smaller properties (which is all I do with it so far) and it fits through a 28" gate. And the way it lifts the spoons and keeps all the weight on the 4 wheels means you dont have to "carry" the aerator around the corners and turns. Does everything I need with no complaints, and seems to be a very durable unit.

10. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

We own a PL800 pluger from rock solid. It has the 5.5 hp Honda engine and aerates a 30" path. It's a great machine! Pulls deep plugs and does not beat you to death.