Aerators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by River Hill, Jul 18, 2001.

1. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

I want to purchase a aerator. I would love to get a Classen/Lesco pull behind but need something to pull it with. So now I am looking at the walkbehind models. The Ryan LA28 looks good but, I heard it does not do well on slopes. The Classen splt drive also looks good. Does anyone have any suggestion on other models to look at? I really am not worried about price. I just want something that is very easy to use on lots less the 1/2 acre.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have the Classen split drive and love it. Sold my Ryan and have never looked back.

3. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 Ryan LA28's and 1 Ryan 5 and 1 Gravely ProAire 27. The Ryan LA28's are by far the most productive and superior I have used in the walk behind line. We also have the barrell roller style for the slopes. If you are doing 1/2 acre lots the LA28 is a great choice. The reason it is so good is because of its tines being on a cam system. This makes turning a breeze and it keeps penetrating on a turn with no tearing of the lawn. Your competition will have a hard time matching the penetration and efficiency of your Ryan LA28. I would also recommend that you purchase the model with the Honda engine.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Brians, all you need is a ZTR to pull it with. I use my Chopper for this now since I tried it this spring and I cut the time in half on the lawns I do, since I can turn so much easier than when I used it on the 3 point hitch on the JD.

Get a ZTR if you don't have one and you will speed up mowing production also. :)

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

While were on the topic of aerators.
    What are your opinions on the homeowner/light commercial tow behind ones, the ones you set the bricks or whatever on top? Do thay work? How Well?
    I can get one for almost free. Would only be used on my lawn and a couple others.
    I would prefer not to rent one and would rather put the money to a blower. I also need a new truck and a 36 for gated. So cash is not there.
    I may also have one of thoes cheep dethatchers as well. how are thay?

6. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

hey how's got a classen split drive?tell me about this thing.i
    will never use a ryan again.bluebird or classen.give me all the info you have on this thing.

be the star on your block!
    GreenStar Commercial Groundkeeping

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Got Grass, the home owner ones will work if the ground is soft enough. It only pulls about 1/3 of the plugs per foot as my Classen/Lesco tow behind will, so you will need to go over your lawn about 3 times with that homeowner type aerator.

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the JRCO that gets mounted on the front of my lazer. I only used it a couple times but it is pretty slick. I know it will be hard to get close to some areas because it is only 36" and the lazer is 60".

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric,
    How do you pick up your aerator w/ the Dixie? I have a 36" Ryan on a JD 455 w/ a three point hitch. I have been considering converting it to a tow behind so I can pull it w/ my Lazer. ED

10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Eric, Thanks, I dont mind going over my lawns a few times as long as the job will get done. It will prolly take a lot of weight to work right and hopefully it will hold up. Can't beat the price.