1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Dec 23, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have a younger cousin that is trying to get into the aeration aspect of lawn care next year. He is looking around for an aerator, which I suggested him a couple of names and the average prices for them. He couldn't believe the prices. So, I am thinking of suggesting to him the JRCO aerator, (something cheaper) but I don't know about the quality of it. I don't want to suggest something to him that will break down within a year.

To those that have used it, are using it, or who have used a demo, what do you think???
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Wants in but doesn't want to get a good aerator? He really should look into a good quality aerator. There is a difference in quality of machines and quality of the job done.
  3. tiedeman

from earth

thanks hoss, so I should tell him to stick to buying a quality one or just renting one?
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Probably wouldn't hurt to rent one until he has some clientel built up to find out if he can build enough to justify one.
  5. tiedeman

from earth

well, he has the clients...I just think that its the money aspect that is scaring him.
  6. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks to 65Hoss, I bought my plugr this past summer, and it paid for itself by the end of fall.
  7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Tell Him to call the rental stores to see if he couldnt purchase a used unit from them. Still get a great unit for less cost.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck trying to do that...I tried that for years with no luck at all.
  9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

My advice:

Rent one, and save all the profit from the aerations to buy his own.

Definitely buy a good quality aerator. Aerators take some abuse, you want a good one that can handle it.

Watch ebay in the spring. Usually the rental places around the country sell their stuff in the spring when they buy new models. Last spring there were tons of good aerators at good prices on ebay in late Feb, early March. Just gotta deal with the shipping/pickup aspect.

My Ryan V I bought this year brought in the dough for me. Great purchase.

10. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

I'm a fan of BillyGoat aerators. About 2K.