aerators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lindylawn, Dec 1, 2004.

1. lindylawn

lindylawn LawnSite Member

I'm looking to upgrade to a new aerator. I've researched, and used several models i.e. the lesco, ryan, and bluebirds. The z-plugr from L. T. Rich Products caught my eye in Turf magazine. Everyone knows aerating can be very profitable, and labor intensive. Anyone out there have any knowledge of this unit. I own a Perma Green sprayer spreader now and my motto is "why walk when you can ride" Thanks

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is one of the reasons that I am getting rid of my walk behind aerator. I am sick of being tired after each use

3. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

troy, what will you be getting as a replacement?

4. Smithers

lindy, great post...i am interested in that as well.

the problem is that any erator that you dont have to walk behind (can't think of any), will be much more expensive than the WB's right now.

I mean, if a WB is ~$2500 brand new....how much would be a rider or similiar aerator?

The sponsor here has something similar - gator rator. however, i have heard some things about the product.........wont say anything else. ;)

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I think the LT unit is around 7g's. I am not positive, but you can bet it is not cheap. I am sure it is awsome, but I can not justify it. I did just pick up today a 48" unit that mounts on the front of a Z. It is made by Trac-vac, and is around 1500 bucks. From my fooling around today I am pretty impressed. You can go as fast as you want, although they suggest 4mph for safety in seeing obsticals. It pulls a nice core, and seems very well built. It will not go in small gated yards, but boy will it cover some ground. It has a good number of tines as well, not like the cheap drag behind units. It has 12 sets of tines with 4 tines per wheel for a total of 48 tines. I did not want to get a unit that gave a poor number of cores per foot. Anyway, it may be an option for you, and the company is a dream to work with.

Good luck

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I haven't made up my mind as to get a ride on unit, or an attachment unit.

7. Smithers

shady, i saw the front mount aerator that you are talking about on their website....looks pretty good....

once you use it a few times, can you give a more detailed review? the dethacher too....is it easy to mount, dismount? how heavy is it?

thanks

8. Shady Brook

from Indiana

George

I would be happy to give you an update, but it will likely not be til spring. I only have a couple more days of work left, but may fool around a bit more.

It is pretty heavy steel, and seems that it will take some hard use. It is relatively easy to put in transport position, and to remove it from the machine only requires that you pull two pins that are very accessable, and unplug on plug. You will need to zip tie the wire to keep it from dragging on the ground, but removal seems very easy.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Jay

9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure most or all of you know this, but one or two companies make split-drum aerators. Each half of the aerator drum moves independently, so apparently it can be steered, more or less. The price I saw on one was about three grand for a unit with a 25" swath.

I like the idea of an aerator you sock onto the front of a ZTR, but I don't have a ZTR (next year, it's probably a 48/17 wb, not a ZTR). I like the idea of a stand-on aerator, but do I like it like I like seven grand? I-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i dunno. Maybe a few years from now, yeah. Right now? Nope.

10. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Mark

Be aware that the Trac-Vac unit will not mount on every ZTR. It needs to have the proper caster arms that allow a mounting bracket. If you call Trac-Vac, they can help you to know which ones will fit.

Take Care
    Jay