aeravation service on home lawns what do you charge.i did a search,nothing.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Aug 24, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DO OR DID AERAVATION ON LAWNS ...i got some nice jobs coming up if my price is right. all are lawns that have been seeded in late nov. 2000 to may of this yr. and are in need of seeding.
    all properties were seeded with team mates plus from lesco and mulched with straw at that time.
    (i think i am going to use the same seed)
    and are 20,000-40,000 sq. ft. all open.
    i got one job today and it was my first with my 40"aeravator (doing it next week) 20,000 sf for $850.00 and the guy said "when can you start".
    after looking over my notes i am useing up to 120 lbs of seed ($1.27 per lb.) or $154.00 for seed.
    no fertilizer (applying it on my next round)
    core aerate areas that i cant do with the aeravator .
    thats it. i hope i was not to low. he jumped right on it. 696.00 seems like a lot of money after supplies but i have a lot invested (tractor,aeravator,trailer ect...
    this will be the first lawn with the aeravator,in the past it was core aerationing and seeding .this aeravation is new to me.
    what do you guys think?
    ANT

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sounds good on the price, why would you not apply starter fertilizer when you apply the seed????:confused:

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Ant- we had a weird experience with our aeravator on our grasshopper. the overseeding germinated only in the holes in some lawns. be sure the customer doesn't over water, or the seed will pool and go to the holes! the charge for aeration seems to be running about 3-4 times mowing price, or about a penny a sqare foot for some. that would put aerating araound the 200 dollar range, but we have to rent a small core for areas not accessable by aeravator, so I'd add 50 bucks to that. with the seed I would do 100 lbs 12-24-12, 100lbs lime, and about the amount of seed you are discussing. If you can sell folks on a timer and sprinklers for 4-6 waterings per day at 10-15 minutes or so, you can almost guarantee success. it sounds like you are making good dollars on this one.

by the way on a side note ant, I got an agitator "boat motor" from permagreen yesterday. and new nozzels available on next years perma. cuts down the max sqaure fottage some, but tom says helps coverage of weedy new lawns and for spraying fungicides and wettable powders. you know about the problems I've had and they are trying to help.I'll give ya a report later. Dave g

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

David it sounds like you aeravated wet soil.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

nope, I thought that too, along with maybe putting out seed 1st then maybe "pushing"it into the ground with aeravator. the clay soil here doesnt quite shatter like sandy loam or silt does. it kind of "bends" when you areavate it. some lawns are better than others. Dave g

6. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

ray and dave thanks for the replys.
    ray: i have him on a 6 step program and his round is due in sept. but going to apply if sooner and charge him for the round.

dave ,let me know how you make out with the up-grades on the ride-on.

ant.