Aeravator................

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mjstef, Mar 11, 2013.

1. DFLS

DFLS LawnSite Senior Member

Aeravator doesnt pull plugs it shakes the ground. I spread a thin layer of loam or peat moss or bagged compost before aeravating and it comes out evenly spread over the thatch and in the holes... for seeding spread loam broadcast seed then make 1 pass with the aeravator.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

And the aeravator will take care of the thatch layer without killing chunks of grass... Pluggers may still be useful for compaction, but how deep does the aeravator go into the soil??? all I've seen so far is a u-tube of the thing...

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting.....? This has me thinking how well the shake and rattle of an Aeravator would handle a really thick and tight thatch layer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

We had an early Aeravator . They are best used when the ground is dry . In harder soils it fractures the soil to allow the root system to spread. They are very heavy and to use them right they are pretty slow , but do a great job. They were popular around here years ago for sports fields.

5. DFLS

3.5 - 4" deep max depending on spike size but the penetration is adjustable by the height of the roller behind the spike drum. (or by the 3 point hitch on the tractor)

Mine weighs +/- 1000 so it gets full penetration even in the hard dry soil.

With a heavy rain after the aeravation you can see and feel just how soft the ground becomes -- huge difference

Uneven ground works too it pivits back and forth and side to side.

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I like the sound of that... 1000 lbs though, huh???
    It's understandable why it is not a popular rental item... :)

7. DFLS

927 total weight the roller is removable that weighs 210.

Mounts on a 3 point hitch and uses the tractor pto.

[​IMG]

8. jtw1987

jtw1987 LawnSite Member

When I am over seeding I always make 2 passes with the aeravator. Guess it all depends on soil type. The clay soils in my area take some extra work esp when there is any moisture. I make my first pass with the tines breaking up the first 1/4in -1/2in of the surface the make the second pass on a diagonal going a bit deeper. I have found that this works best for me and I get much better results. The first two years I had horrible results until I started doing test in ky own yard to see what technique worked best. My 60in w/seed box and roller is very heavy. I've even used it behind my jd5420 on a horse pasture with rye. I normally keep it on my jd 4105
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've rented the aeravator in the past but the conditions were always good. For you guys that own them, do you find it hard to get the soil dry enough in the spring to run it? I currently have a befco green rite overseeder but I found a used aeravator and would love to have it and sell the befco. My concern is that I couldn't get out as early in the spring do to wet soil conditions. What are you owners experiencing?

10. jtw1987

jtw1987 LawnSite Member

Even when the soil is a little moist I believe it still preforms well but not in red clay. If you don't mind the extra time to go over the lawn twice at lower a lower rpm it should do the trick.
    Posted via Mobile Device