1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fishman644, Sep 26, 2005.

1. fishman644

fishman644 LawnSite Member

t wondering if it is the best thing to aereate in the spring and fall. im just getting into providing the service and i want to hear from someone that is more experienced with this than i am. I want to make sure im doing it right.
  2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's spelled AERATE. You have 1 too many e's in your spelling. I find the fall to be best. Fall is when you get the most root growth and most benefit from aeration. If you can't fit them in your fall schedule, then spring would be my second choice.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed, fall first, spring a close second so long it's EARLY spring (no later than april).
    Way it's been around here, I've aerated a FEW yards where the owners drowned the yard with sprinklers but it's been so dry if it doesn't rain soon, all the rest are going to be spring chickens.
  5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to sell aeration in the Fall and thatching late Spring.
  6. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

People still do that?
  7. fishman644

fishman644 LawnSite Member

That is what i thought but i wanted to hear some different opinions.
  8. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

aeration relieves compaction. Aerate when it's compacted. That might be once a year, once every three years or once a month, depending on soil type and use. If you have a heavy snow load during the winter, opening it afterward might make the most sense(spring). If you are simply looking for fall work and don't want to add that to a hectic spring, do it whenever it makes sense for your business.
  9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not do it in fall and spring?
  10. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol Too - Lawns still buildup leftovers and some of it is thatch. Some people including myself dethatch their own lawns.