aereators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, May 30, 2001.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it matter if i core areate(sp) or spike areate? And can i areate now?

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

:rolleyes: You would want to use a core aerator because the spike aerators don`t take much of a core plug out.Are you talking about the spike aerators like at home cheapo? DON`T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! You are in st. Louis and I am there also,I don`t think this would be the right time to aerate now because of the heat that will be comming will probaly kill the grass,the best time is in early fall or beginning of spring. Also do search this might have been talked about before.

3. Core aerating is better than spike in my book. As far as timing, it is too late to do it now, getting hot and dry. Ground will be hard, and it could possibly stress the turf to do it now. Usually you want a period of time in cooler weather for the turf to recover. I would wait until fall or early next spring.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Spiking is pretty much wasting your time and the customers money. Core aerate if you want results.

5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Spike aeration is a big waste of time and money, the whole idea of aerating is to relieve soil compaction. The plug type aerators do this by removing a "plug" of soil which allows the surrounding soil to expand, thus relieving compaction. The spike type actually does pretty much the opposite, spikes the ground pushing and compacting the surrounding soil.

6. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Core aerator remove a plug, thus not only somewhat reduce compaction but allow the roots good access to air which is needed for a healthy lawn. Plugs would needed to be cleaned up to look nice, normally we just mow after aerifing.
    Spikes tend to compact the soil, which does allow air to get into the soil if your dealing with sandy soils. Otherwise over time spikes will cause problems. Not plugs to clean up.
    On large equipment you can also use shatter tines. They slice into the soil with a blade and cause a twisting motion to crack open the soil with a slit. It disturbs the soil enough that it does not cause compaction, however it is very noticable.