Aerification help!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by sollyj, Mar 7, 2007.

1. sollyj

sollyj LawnSite Member

Wondering how many of you aerify. I havent aerified since my golf course days, was wondering if you guys have problems with hitting irrigation heads, and if you mark the heads or does the customer? I have a few yards that could use it this year, 2 acre lawns(lot of heads). Looking at Jrco, and some pull behind slicers, what do you guys use and which ones get the job done. I would like to add this service, but need help on these questions.

2. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

Is aerification, aerify even words? This would be the first step.

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Out of 300 lawns I aerate I can tell you I hit at least one a year. sometimes 2, 3 or 10. I build into my pricing that I hit at least one. but I average well below 1% of yards I hit a head. You just know where they are lying. We mostly do small jobs but have a pull behind. the pull behind you have a better chance at hitting a head than a walk behind unit.

4. sollyj

sollyj LawnSite Member

I'll propably have to turn on the system to see where all the heads are, these yards are huge, so it will take sometime flagging them! These yards are in desperate need of plugging, they are sodded lawns. They really dry out in the summer, the stand wont root deep. I dont even know if it would be worth it to buy an aerifyer for three yards. There isnt much need up here except on golf courses. wondering if the guy before you was serious-is aerify a word? Come on!

5. sildoc

As it runs Michigan is not much further north than Oregon. I do a heck of a lot of aeration. I would say that those that get snow need it even more. Compaction is what aeration aleviates and allows water, fert and other chemicals sink in quicker while allowing the roots to get air (hence the word aeration). If you are not selling aeration you are leaving a lot of money on the table. I would say it is one of or the best and easiest ways to make money.

6. sollyj

sollyj LawnSite Member

You said you use a pull behind, what kind? does it have an engine or is it wheel driven? I sure dont want to leave any money on the tablel -lol

7. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

Rent an aerator from RSC, etc.

8. bjlawnman

bjlawnman LawnSite Member

When I do an aeration for a customer who has a sprinkler system I leave them flags and ask them to mark all the sprinkler heads and valve boxes. Then when i'm done aerating I take the flags.

9. sildoc

Yeah. I rely on my customers. They are lazy that is why they hired me. heads ok yeah you hit a few. if you hit a valve box you are blind.

10. sildoc

no motor pulled with a lawn tractor, 4 wheeler or a z. turns by each tine hitting the ground and rotating through.