Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PR Fect, Mar 9, 2005.

1. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

So you guys seen this? Does it really work? Whats the down side?
  2. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

sounds like a bunch of crap to me. if the soiil is so compacted that you needa procuct like that how is it going to penetrate the soil? and did you read the part about the root zones? most turf grass roots arent but a few inches anyway.
  4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not positive if this is the same stuff, but I saw a similar product used on a new golf course near here that was rock hard clay. I mean it was solid as a brick, you could'nt dig it with a shovel until a backhoe broke it up, they used this stuff & got the sprinkler system running, one rotation of the sprinkler & the top 1 was softened, the wetter it got the softer it got,they only used it for softening up to finish grade & planting, after the turf established they stopped using that and went to normal aerating.
  5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

In one of my horticulture classes at Utah State University, I learned that one easy way to determine the efficacy of a product is by determining whether or not is has an EPA Label. Any quality product is going to go through the testing and registration process. No label likely means no usefulness, or consistently proven results.
  6. Ole Green

Ole Green LawnSite Member

They do not come right out and say what their product contains but they say it contains a soil penetrate.
    "The second, and more immediate and direct solution to clay soil is our Natural Aeration application. This contains a soil penetrate that helps relieve compaction as soon as it is watered in. "
    Most spreader stickers including lesco's are labeled as soil penetrates.
    Soil penetrate's are advertised to enhance water penetration in dry soil.
    In a garden store, soil softener is called ammonium lauryl sulfate. This product might be ammonium lauryl sulfate also."Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate is used in many shampoos, toothpastes, and skin cleansers."
    Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate Chemical Formula: CH3(CH2)10 CH2 OSO3 NH4
    Certainly does make 2,4-D sound friendly. Anything that is sprayed is usually looked at as potentially harmful.It doesn't matter if it was as harmless as baby shampoo. which some gardener's use claiming it breaks up surface tension and improves watering. I have yet to see a university study the effects of spraying soap for this purpose, however soap is also an effective contact killer of many insects so for the gardner its not a complete waste. If I had a customer ask me about a liquid aeration. I would explain that it may help with water penetration. But it is obviously missing the key benefits of air exchange and soil plugs that enhance microbial life to break down thatch.Also that plug that gets pulled relieves root bound grass plants allowing them to repopulate through (rhizomes and tillers) new shoots that form new plants.I would then explain integrated pest management and how using a cultural control such as core aeration is better than applying a chemical (even if its harmless).
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Plain and simple, Aerify is merely a wetting agent.