1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

AerWay shattertine aerators

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by DiyDave, Jan 27, 2007.

1. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Aerway Shattertine (or sporttine or finetine) aerators? I am thinking of buying one and wanted some input.

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Aerway soil shatterers are awesome. They do a very good job of relieving soil compaction, and there is very little surface disruption. They can play on it immediately after you're gone. No cores, no holes to catch a cleat in.

3. DiyDave

Upidstay (i love that name!) any experience using or owning one?

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Glad you like the name. Yes, used one a fair amount. Like I said, it did a great job of relieving compaction, with minimal surface disruption. I have been told it is not as effective as pulling cores, but I like the fact that you can play on the field immediately after aerating. No plugs all over the place. And with trying to schedule aeration around field use, that is a huge benefit.

5. DiyDave

Have you heard of Genesistillage.com? there seems to be a bit of controversy about the aerway aerator- it has to do with how the blades are mounted,and what the year of production the aerator is.

6. Dollar Spot

Dollar Spot LawnSite Member

We used one on our fairways and it worked great. We use it to supplement core aerification. The local school uses one on all their sports fields. I never had a problem with it.

7. kenh3497

kenh3497 LawnSite Member

We had one at the school I worked at. We had the shatter tine and it worked ok. Our soil was/is so hard that I wished we had the sport tine to get a bit better penitration. I did add weight to the unit but we only had an Allis 5020 so we were limited to how much weight we could add. Over all, I was satified with the Aer Way.

8. 1turfguy

1turfguy LawnSite Member
    from ma

have an aeravator....love it...takes time getting used to being able to turn and keep areating .. also great for b ball infields

9. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a small aero-vator and tractor if anybody knows of one for sale.