Afew questions about mowers and a trailor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chrisk, May 15, 2002.

1. chrisk

chrisk LawnSite Member

First let me say that I have used the search but I need more help.

I am looking at buying my first commercial mower.
    Right now I have 6 customers. The biggest is 2 acres of flat ground.
    The rest are 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre. All of these are flat.

I make $220 per week off of these lawns, and the take me a total
    of 6 hours.
    I want to cut the time it takes down so that I can add more acounts.
    What mower should I get? I have looked at exmark and scag. (only dealers in my area)
    Also for these flat lawns do I really need a hydro?

Also would a 5x10, or 6x12 trailor be good enough to start off with???
    Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I need all that I can get
  2. swn

swn LawnSite Member

The only walkbehind i have experience with is a toro belt driven. I like it fine, but it is by no means our primary mower. It is not used that often. If it was to be my only mower, I would get a hydrostatic. As far as which one to get, make sure you try each one of them out. Don't just look at them and talk to the dealer.

I would also get the biggest trailor you could afford. Because if you are wanting to get bigger, more than likely you will be getting more equipment in the future. Then you will be getting another new trailor.
  3. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

I started this year as well. I recommend the exmark mower. After all the reading I did (here), exmark got high marks. You need to consider the size of mower. You said you have a large property, this may mean you need at least a 48" walkbehind, but remember, if you have gates that you need to get into then the 36" would be better. I do not think you need the hydro, i bought the a 36" exmark.

As for the trailer, buy the largest you can afford. The 6 x 12 sounds good to me. I made the mistake ofnot following the advice of the people on here and bought a 5 x 8. WAY TOO SMALL, even if you are not cutting many lawns. I reccomend at least the 6 x 12, but even bigger if you plan on growing this biz and getting more accounts. The 6 x 12 will probably do you well for a few years.

GOOD LUCK!!!

4. chrisk

chrisk LawnSite Member

I see that you are in Kentucky. I am in Louisville.
    Can you email me??? I have many more questionss and thought maybe a fellow Kentuckian might help me out.
    email is
    If you want leave me your phone number and I'll call you.

What is your primary mower??
  5. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

There are a lot of different ways you could go here.

IF you are going with a new walk behind, which is a good idea, which dealer do you like best and offers the best service? I went with Exmark because not only is it a great product, but my dealer is the greatest!!

You could go with a good used walk behind. The Bargain Mart has several good deals on used walk behinds for sale in the Louisville area. I was just looking at one yesterday.

The lawns you have now are flat, but will your next new customer have a flat lawn? Probably not. Naturally hydro is the best overall. I personally would consider a gear drive for a walk behind, but then, it would not be my primary mower. I would use it in situations where my lazer isnt appropriate. (Gated lawns, ditches, etc.) You're thinking in the right direction. Get a commercial mower, and get the best you can afford. Don't go head over heels in debt though. Build your business first.

As far as the trailer goes, go with the largest trailer you can afford. I know from experience and 3 different trailers that you can never have enough trailer space. I bought a 6'4" by 10 with a gate and thought I had a good size trailer until I got it home and loaded my equipment on it. I really needed more space the first time I used it for a mulch job. I used it 2 years and just bought a 16 footer. Its great for hauling equipment as well as hauling off brush on clean ups. Now that being said, you may not want to start with a 16 footer, but don't skimp on trailer space. You will regret it later.

I don't know that I've helped you any, but you do have several options here. I personally would, if I were in your shoes with 6 customers starting out, go with a good dependable used Walk Behind and a 12 to 14 foot trailer. Oh yeah, and find someone that will service your used walkbehind. You can't afford downtime having to run around trying to find someone that will make repairs for you.
    Just my thoughts.............
  6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i agree with everything that has already been said, also what are u currently using? what about tow vehicle?
  7. chrisk

chrisk LawnSite Member

Right now I am using a 21inch push mower, and a craftsman riding mower.
    As far as a tow vehicle I have a 2000 chevy 2500 with a 350
    Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  8. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

A Chevy 2500......with a 350......

Definetly go for a 16 foot trailer!! How about an enclosed trailer???!!!!

It's so much fun spending other peoples money..........
  9. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Chrisk, check your email.

I use grasshopper for my primary mower.
  10. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

how much of the mowing do u do with the ride on? if u do most of it with it then u can probs get a larger walkbehind. now what else will u be carrying on the trailer besides the walkbehind and push mower? the tractor too?