Affordable Flyer Delivery!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lbmd1, Nov 21, 2003.

1. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to share a recent discovery that I think many will be interested when it comes to delivering flyers. After many years of direct mail, real estate sales listings and other expensive delivery systems, I think I have found a very affordable way to get our message out. It's called a saturation rate from the US Post Office. After you pay the one time $150 setup fee and your yearly $150 fee, you receive your permit number to mail at reduced rates. It come out to 3.4 cents to mail a full page doubled sided flyer, folded in half. Our town has approx 2000 year round residents, along with a neighboring town of 500. These are highly affluent seacoast towns averaging around $750,000- $4 million dollar homes. Total cost to mail to approx 2500 homes- $85!!! Now that my one time setup and yearly fee is paid, I can now market constantly to these 2500 homeowners as many times as I want each calendar year for $85 for each mailing. This is hand delivered by the post office first class mailing that is not stuffed with any other mailers or such. My plan is to mail in the late march for our organic fertilizer division, late march for new lawn maintenance accounts, early june for pruning, late august for aerations and finally late sept for fall cleanups. Total yearly costs for 5 separate mailings, $425!!! Your permit is good at any post office in your state so you can select each town you serve or want to serve and pay 3.4 cents per homeowner. They can even give you the numbers of commercial properties, seasonal residents, and so on. Other costs were flyer production, folding and stickering the pages in half. So here's finally a way to get your flyer out cheap with out pissing off the postmaster. Make sure you ask for the saturation rate. Ironically, we are in the midst of downsizing and picking out our cherry accounts ater 10 yrs of being in business, but I want to pursue finer clients, more profitable services, etc.. I am done with employees and the added expense and hassle in dealing with them. It's just my wife and I now. If you have any further questions, fire away.

Mike

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Mike it sound good to me I have been thinking of going the direct mail route,but the cost is what is holding me back.

I have some questions 1. Do you have a minimum (my town is far more than 2500) that you have to send out each time? i'm assuming that there is. 2. Can you be selective in where these flyers go? Therer are places I don't want to work in my town. Thanks Tony

3. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Is that saturatation rate also known as a bulk mailing rate? I have done that in the past but the problem with that is that you have to type out and stuff your own envelopes. Submit that to the post office and away they went. Much easier for me to insert flyers in the local paper. Not cheaper, just much easier. I can hit 16,000 homes in my zip code for $1100 and I don't have to stuff one envelope or type anything.

Good if it works for you and thanks for the input.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

thanks 4 the heads up

5. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Tony,
    they seperate the routes within the town as well as P.O. boxes. My town of 2500 had 4 routes of 500 and 500 to the P.O. boxes. I guess if I wanted, I could have asked the postmaster where the 4 routes went to and selected only those routes I wanted. I see where you guys in bigger towns would want to do it this way. I can't see why not. There was no minimum. Justmjc, I had my flyers printed with the back side having the return address, permit number and postal patron on it. No envelopes to stuff, or nothing to seperate. I think it is a different from the bulk mailing.

Mike

6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Used the post office web site and cant get that rate from there online calculators.??

7. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this the same as Bulk mail, have never heard it termed "Saturation", before.

9. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

I'll stop in the post office Monday and check into this. I was going to get my bulk mailing permit anyhow.

Less than 4 cent seems EXTREMELY cheap. If it is correct, I'll start a weekly targeted mailing program.

Dennis

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Mike
    I stopped at the post office and they don't know anything about what your saying. So who do I need to talk to? All I can find out is about bulk rate and its not even close to 3.4 cents. More info PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Mac