Affordable Hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Natural Impressions, May 8, 2006.

1. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

I am looking to go out within the next few days and buy a commercial hedge trimmer to replace the garbage ones( weedeater) I have. I am interested in everyone comments on what you think is the best affordable trimmer. I was hoping to stay in the price range of $180 to $240 but I am thinking that would be hard. Anyu Ideas let me know thanks

2. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an Echo brand from Home Depot. Do not remember the price - but it was affordable. I do not use it daily, but we trim a fair amount of hedges. Thing is wonderful!!!

3. Natural Impressions

Echo....I have seen them at home depot....have you had to repair/replace parts? were they easy to locate thru dealer, online, catalog?

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

For the most part, the Echos are great machines. come to think of it, I cant come up with an Echo I've ever hated. parts are fairly easy to get at any Echo dealer. they're simple to work on too, not much unnecessary stuff on em, they're basic machines but do very well due to that basic design.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the echo are ok for the money but you can do better. find a shindawia dealer and get the home pro model. its the same $ as the echo and a much better unit. i trim a lot of hedges and bushes so i know hedge trimmers. tanaka also has a low end unit that s good too.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Looks like $269 (MSRP) is the cheapest you are going to find "good" hedge trimmers. The Echo HC150 looks to be around $270, the Tanaka THT-2000 is about the same price. Both of those units advertise a 1 year commercial warranty.

The Shindaiwa units are out of your stated price range by more, and the 22DH Homepro hedge trimmer only carries a 180 day commercial warranty.

The Redmax CHT2200 seems to be in general along the same line as the Shindaiwa 22DH.

Shindaiwa and Redmax do make higher grade units with full 1 year (2 year for Redmax) commercial warranties, but they are out of the price range that you specified.

The Stihl consumer units look to carry a 1 year commercial warranty also.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get the Echo it will be just fine....hasn't changed in many years and it is a light weight machine.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i used the echo 1500 for many years. they are not trouble free nor do they cut that well. they are light-their only virtue. the shindawia home pro is a much better unit for the same $ even has a grease fitting on the gear case. who cares about the warrenty! they arnt going to break. its like when buying a toyota you dont buy the extended warrenty-you wont need it.

9. Natural Impressions

I was in Lowes earlier and saw a troy bilt with a spring in the rope pull for easier starting and it was running about 190...has anyone ever sen this one?

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Oh sweet jesus dont buy that pos. I got one of their trimmers to use as a back up unit and NO LIE within 1 hour of operation the f*cker throws a rod...not worth 5 friggin cents.