Afraid I killed my lawn :(

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by allendehl, Nov 13, 2010.

1. allendehl

allendehl LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

I planted my lawn myself about 5 months ago and it was doing fairly ok. As expected some weed started to grow all over the lawn and I headed to my local Home Depot to ask for advice.
    They told me to use Bayer Advanced Southern Weed Killer for lawns.(pic attached)

I applied it once and consumed only a very small portion of the spray bottle, it regulated the content pretty well. Bad luck that is started to rain a couple of hours later.

After a few days, I noticed that the weeds were still there, so I decided to apply the killer again(thought that probably the rain washed it out before). This time I expected the bottle to regulate the product as good as it did it before and started to water my garden the same way.. When I took a look at the bottle, it had consumed almost half of it and I wasn't even in the first half of the lawn. I then hurried up and walked really quick to finish up the whole thing.
    It looks like for some reason the regulator the bottle has inside broke and mixed too much product.

Results, after a few weeks my lawn now looks like these pics. The bottle said clearly that It Wont Harm Laws, but.... did I kill my lawn?
    Is there a way I can save it?

I thought going back to HD and buy some fertilizers but I better get good advice here first.

Thanks in advance!

FYI: I leave in S.Florida and the grass is Palmetto.

Photo Nov 13, 11 29 50 AM.jpg

Photo Nov 13, 11 30 20 AM.jpg

Photo Nov 13, 11 48 57 AM.jpg
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I call it the way I see it and never pull a punch.

I see it two ways. You can do a lot of studying and buy a lot of equipment. But that doesn't ensure you will have a nice lawn. Or you can Hire a professional who will give you the results you are looking for.

As for the hose end sprayer::

Professional injectors cost hundreds of dollar and don't always work correctly. You are using a Plastic Throw away injector and asking why it burned your lawn. That is a rhetorical question BTW.
  3. Tim Smith

Tim Smith LawnSite Member

Find a good sod guy. Even if it's not completely dead winter recovery will be to slow.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

It really isn't all that bad. I was expecting worse. The recovery might be slow, but it will recover. Unfortunately, you should take my opinion with a grain of salt since I know nothing about Palmetto grass.

This season, I got lazy and decided to buy something similar to that, but used the Ortho brand out of the same type of sprayer. I had some weeds coming in the back of my property. I have access to many chemicals, but didn't feel like converting and measuring, so I bought the Ortho. This product pretty much 'scorched' an entire strip in the back of my property. It took almost all season to recover.
  5. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

rics advice is good advice, get someone who knows how to care for your lawn. I think your biggest mistake was doing a second application only two days after the first, I think your lawn is fried!
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Professional equipment costs more--and it does a better job. Free advice at HD...? I am from Palmetto a type of St Augustine?
    Maybe you used more water pressure the second time. Did you say you sprayed your garden? Ric is right. An experienced applicator would have given you better results, used a better product, and better equipment. Live and learn. It will probably recover after a few months of warm weather.
  7. sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Biggest mistake that you and many,many people have/ continue to make is taking advice from big box store employees to heart.

I am sure a handful have a knowledge base, but 98 percent have not a clue, lawn, plumbing,electrical, hardware, paint,etc.

Find a locally owned lawn care provider, can be the best place to start your search.

My 2 cents
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Tim Smith

Tim Smith LawnSite Member

If it's palmetto being stressed in the winter months will finish it off.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

hire a pro, it is alot more than just randomly spraying on a lawn, correct application to get results requires calibration to get a certain measured amount of the active ingredient over a certain broadcast area. it is all detailed on a label, but i am sure that bottle has clear instructions(yeah right, how could it) as to how much.

it is most likely dead, and wont be able to be reseeded well for a few weeks at least, depending on the amount of over toxicity has built up from the complete misapplication of a chemical.
  10. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

thats for sure, st augustine seeds are too small to harvest, there for unavailabe. Sod or plugs only.