Afraid of Losing Two Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 18, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was doing my billing today, and I noticed that it seemed that for two particualr customers it was really super high.

Would you guys lower prices or give customers a discount if you thought there might be a chance that you would lose them as a customer?
  2. Need a Little Trim

Need a Little Trim LawnSite Member

You as the business owner know your overhead costs.....If I could give a loyal customer that continually purchase services of me above and beyond lawn cutting a discount I would have to try. I have historically shown discounts on my invoices for services rendered even for new customers.

I believe that in marketing if someone thinks they are getting something for nothing then they are very happy. Or offer a new program that they can jump on such as one I introduced to my regulars:

With every 2 referals signed I give one cut at 30% off....on a marketing standpoint this allows you to make more money off of that customer because then they are working for you ultimately. Just my opinion.
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely show the discount on the invoice as you stated. And let them know about it as well. Also let them know that they don't alwasy get the discount, but you thank them for the longtime relationship.

We do the same with our sprinkler bills.
    Winterization $56
    Discount $6 (or whatever amount)

I never give a discount for new customer or to get business. Only to the people that continue to use our services.
  4. tiedeman

from earth

that is what I was thinking of doing
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, detail your work on the invoice so it sounds like they are getting alot for their money. For instance, break things down. Instead of just saying Fall cleanup, say Fall cleanup; Cleanout of shrubs, beds, and sweepover of all turf areas, with removal of debris.
    If you did theur gutters, don't just say cleanout of gutters. Say Clearing of roof areas of all debris, complete cleanout of all eavestroughs and downspouts.
    Edging aren't just edgings. They are Edging of all curblines, walks, and drive.
    The same hold true of all shrub work, and pruning of ornamentals. - Not just Shrub trimming, or "trimming of shrubbery".
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

No , I would not. Your customers should be aware of their charges, and appreciate the value of your services offered. If there is a higher than normal bill, don't sweat it or discount it. You have to have a complete sell to your clients on your company's percieved value, and at what level of service they are getting for that money.
  7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I do this same tactic. I itemize exactly what has been done, not just a general job title, somtimes I do more than they expected, and they appreciate it.
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I agree with impactlandscaping, no discount needed. They should have been told the approximate cost of the services rendered before completion of the work, so they shouldn't be surprised when they see their bill.
  9. tiedeman

from earth

what about customers that you have done work for in the past, want the same service that you provided last year and basically just tell you to do it, yet your prices have gone up and they do not know that. Do you still give them a price or not, because you feel that the price might scare them? Along the same line, do you just do it without an estimate?
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

did the price go up 30% or 5%. Was there a lot more work that required more in charges or just you upped your invisible hourly rate?

Anything under 5% increase I wouldn't even think about.
    Anything caused by extra work should be noted as such in a diplomatic way.
    Anything huge should already have been brought to the customers attention, now it it too late.

Of course if the whole thing is under $100 then I wouldn't even think about it regardless of % increase.

I always atleast give a rough estimate.

Mr Jones. I know we did this for $225 last year, We should be looking at $250 -$275 this year due to the extra stuff. I assume something in that range is what you expected. Should I get intouch with you if it is gonna be much more? Thanks Mr. Jones. Anything over $275 I will get your prior approval, but I really doubt we will see that. Thank you.