Afraid of Robot Lawn Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tinman, Oct 21, 2008.

Think Robotic Mowers will take off in the next 5 years

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
  2. No

30 vote(s)
  1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I know it is not a big concern yet, but eventually robotic lawn mowers will creep into our everyday lives. Currently they are too expensive and not heavy duty enough to cause Lawn Care Companies any trouble but that will change as they get better and cheaper with time. When that time comes will you be a whiner, crying about all the accounts you had until the “iMower” ripped them? Or will you be an expert on them so you can profit from them when their time comes?
  2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

At this point, neither. Not worried about it in the forseeable future.
  3. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

I have three already and they are named Lupe, Geraldo and Juan.
  4. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll need to watch them anyways, because if you don't it'll get stolen. So where the he** is the time savings in that!? I may be wrong, but....
  5. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Good point!... Probably the best place for them would be a fenced yard anyway as I would be afraid a neighbor's kid could walk onto my lawn as the mower was running.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not too worried about it. I don't think they will ever be that big of a thing.
  7. sweetz

I can barely see robotic vacuums really taking off, but I don't think the mowers ever will. I would love it if most of my customers got one to mow their back yard. That way I could only carry a large mower for the front yards. Ever notice that people in general will only pay about 1/4 - 1/3 of what they are paying for their front yard to add on their back yard? Even though their back yard is usually bigger, has more trimming, has limited access & takes twice as long to cut.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

They could be equipped with On-Star ......;)
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would be more afraid of synthetic turf, doesn't even require a mower.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  10. sweetz

I got a laugh out of that one!