Afraid to tear up the yard

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by qcontrol23, Jul 16, 2008.

1. qcontrol23

qcontrol23 LawnSite Member

I used a corer of my clients yard to stage dirt while i moved it from one point to another. Now im close to the bottom of the pile and am afraid of messing up the yard with the bobcat. Should i hand scoop and wheelbarrow it from here on out?? Then rake the area for clean-up afterward?? What is your suggestion?

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

How long has it been sitting there?

3. qcontrol23

2 days...i have more coming later this week, would it make it easier if i put the load on a tarp?

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

A tarp will definitivly help. Hand rake the area as best as you can. When I get to the bottom I use a leaf blower to move the rest of the dirt away from the blades of grass just to help it get going again. It's dusty, but works.

Take it a step furthur when your done and throw down a little fertilizer and water it in to help it green up faster.

Also, two days isn't bad. I don't like leaving a pile for more than four.

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

very good advice!

6. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

You're going to be hard pressed to not have to do some repair work if you have been using a bobcat to scoop the pile. There is a good chance that you are going to be re-sodding some of it.

If I know that there will be turf damage, I figure the repair work into the original bid.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have dumped on plywood before to help keep the clean-up easier... and maintain the scoobability...

8. qcontrol23

By dumping on plywood i wouldnt have to worry about tearing into the lawn as well!!!

9. qcontrol23

I havent been scooping into the yard just from the upper bottome of the pile up.

10. Hortus

Hortus LawnSite Member

Try to dump in a different spot and follow the previous posters advice to rejuvenate the original area.