After 16 Years, Finally Got Something Bigger Than a 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Mar 8, 2012.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, after 16 years of mowing lawns and almost 300 weekly maintenance accounts, I just purchased our first 36" mower. The only thing I've ever owned that was over 21". I know....I know..... Everyone on Lawnsite cannot fathom doing lawns with just 21" mowers. But in the suburban areas we service, all the lots are about 8,000 sq. ft. and the lawns are around 1000-2000 sq. ft. Most of them are too small for anything but a 21".

But we finally had enough accounts that had large enough lawns to warrant having a little larger mower. So I bought me a nice Gravely 36" today. It's a year or two old, but only has 31 hours on it. Starts right up first pull. Hydraulics and everything work like it's brand new. Nice machine.

We demo'd the Exmark, Gravely and one other brand last year. But the Gravely was the one my crew liked the best. We tried each unit for several days last year. And my crews really liked the controls best on this mower as opposed to the other two they tried. So that's what we decided to buy.

So this being my first 36", I have a question for those of you who use these; I'm assuming we can put a really nice cross-cut mulch kit on this thing and just mulch with it, right? Is there a specific brand or kit that you guys recommend?

Here are some photos of the unit I picked up today....

GravelyB.jpg

GravelyC.jpg

GravelyA.jpg

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Nice machine, When you say you only own push mowers what kind do you buy for your guys?? are they commercial grade or just the run of the mill craftsman push mowers.

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Hows them cigars?

4. JimLewis

I didn't say push mowers. I said 21"s. We have always run Honda Commercial HRC216HXA - The commercial Hydrostatic mowers. They're top of the line commercial mowers and we love them. Just 21" size.

5. JimLewis

The Cubans I brought back from my trip? Some were crap. Some were good. But honestly, I've had better from just my local cigar shop. Been enjoying those more. Some Romeo y Julietta, PUNCH, and the best have been the Monte Cristos. That reminds me, it's about time for another one. It's been almost two weeks. Gonna have to go out to the hot tub and have one this evening. The wife doesn't like them anywhere but outside. And this time of year it's too cold to just hang on the porch for a whole hour. So I've been having them in the hot tub. Which is pretty sweet, anyway.

6. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

gezzzz, you wouldnt last in my area with a 21 lol.

7. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

btw congrats on the purchase

8. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

I'm surprised you actually bought a bigger mower, Jim. I use a Walker when I can, but usually get stuck with using the 21" mowers most of the time. I sure wish we could have a commercial version of that Toro 30". Maybe an exmark? Ybravo took a shot at it with the 25", but I heard it was crap.

One question, though. Do you bag everything as of now? If so how do you plan on convincing them to start mulching?

As far as cigars go, I've got a Cohibo I've been saving for the right time. Tonight may be it.

9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Nice Jim! man the last time smoked a cigar was Oct 31st 2004. my 20th birthday & the day we rolled into Baghdad, Iraq.

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The man has 300 accounts so obviuosly he has found a business model that works just fine. For 1~2k of turf anything much bigger is a waste. A 60" Lazer is not the answer to everything.
    Posted via Mobile Device