After 19yrs. in chemicals,direction to go organic

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by replenish&subdue, Jul 7, 2008.

1. replenish&subdue

replenish&subdue LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to avoid all the mistakes and wasted time and with your help be given a good start to begin converting my business gradually to organics.
    I have a very good established business and would like to begin with an organic alternative program to offer.
    Since I'm green in this,it would be real nice to catch a conference,a good book,even visit someone's operation to help me begin.It seems by reading the threads (I read as much as I could at one sitting before getting dizzy) that it is still a learning process for most. My biggest question is what approach does one take in a warm climate like memphis which is different from the Northeast.
    If someone could help me with some simple wisdom I will be most grateful.
  2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

give me a week or two and I should be able to invite you down for a quick visit. Hopefully I will be a smaller version of Tree's operation.

This is my first year with organics, I have floundered until now, it is all about compost and CT. Talk to ICT Bill, he will help you until we can get more into the teas as they are a little more complicated.

I started with the option, I think I am going to drop the option and just do what I do. I am strongly considering doing the woodstock city park for free as it is not that big, in the heart of town, and they have events there all the time. I will offer them a price first and see how that goes, free if nothing else because of the visual it would get.
  3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Deep Green, Why don't you come to Statham and do my yard for free! :laugh:I have Emerald Green Zoysia.
  4. DeepGreenLawn

yeah ok, I will be there friday at noon, you just wait for me...
  5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

R&S I will get back to you soon. and have some help for you.
  6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Replenish, Please keep reading the old posts, you never know what is going to peak your interest to ask more questions, yes they will get you dizzy but I think they have pills for that too

Please start out with letting us know what you tackle in every day life
    Type of turf typically, do you have any property to park your trailers on. what is the biggest issue in turf, grows too fast, fungal disease, etc.
    do you just do application work or landscape and mowing too

I t will give us a better understanding of resources and how far to push you towards the DARK GREEN SIDE........I AM YOUR FATHER, LUKE..........
  7. replenish&subdue

replenish&subdue LawnSite Senior Member

That was quick,you must be alive with enzymes. When you get right down to earth isn't it all about the soil? Therefore is it not necessary to stop those treatments which deplete the soil? Is it factual that fertilizers and pre-emerges hurt/sterilize the soil?
    I would need a lot of understanding and some proven results to halt pre-emerge treatments. Since it takes two plus years to re-condition soil how does one ease into it.Seems like for a time organics be something I do on the side until forced into it by regulations or I discover in the process organics are truly feasible.Have I got questions having just begun to look into this green way. May you answer all my questions before I ask them.Thanks for the time and pioneering the way before me.
  8. DeepGreenLawn

HA, you have questions? Please, just look up my name and Newby08, surely I have asked all the questions possible and then some. I'm surprised these people still even respond.

I have been treating my neighbors lawn for the past two years, last year it was traditional, the lawn got nice and thick, good and healthy, I also cut it so maintenance practices were proper also. Like I said, this year I went organic on both mine and hers. No pre-ms, she had 3 weeds, lawn only about 2-3K but you get the idea, I had a few more but I use a reel mower and it is REALLY short so the heighth wasn't there to help choke the weeds as easily.

I still use pre-ms on my new lawns to help control weeds but only as needed, post emergents on BAD lawns, if I can hand pull, I hand pull or use my weed puller thingy-ma-bob. I am to the point that I feel sick putting down any kind of chems now.
  9. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

There are some very generous people in this forum. Thanks.
  10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

R&S at this point I think DGL has asked all the questions, i want all my posts back, I think I got a book deal goingLOL