After 3 Redmax 8000's I bought a Stihl 600.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Nov 26, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I was really hoping the Stihl would be comparable. After running it for 2 hours I returned it and bought another Redmax 8000. It's no where near as powerful . First my guys said send it back then I tried for myself .I even think the 7001 is more powerful. All the good posts I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm lucky my dealer let me exchange it.

2. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I find this hard to believe. My guys always go for the Stihl 600s first (instead of Redmax 8000s). They are very close in power. Maybe something was wrong with yours.

3. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

The redmax is much more powerful. You may not notice it until u hit big piles or wet leaves...

4. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The Red Max is much more powerful...not even close.

We tried a BR-600 becuase of the lighter weight but went back to the Red Max due to the overwhelming power difference.

You have to run them side by side in heavy wet leaves to REALLY notice the difference!

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting. My dealer sells both and suggested I stay with Redmax when I was considering another BP. We have 4 8000's as well.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

After having my redmax now (even though its not an 8000) im staying with redmax. I have no regrets of not going with stihl.

7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Tested the 600 the other day. Felt good and the vibration was just about nill. Price was not bad at 469 either. But compared to my 651 think I will wait till Stihl puts something on the market with a little more umph.

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I don't think the br600s are as powerful as the 8000s and I own 3 600s, BUT I am betting that the 600s will outlast the 8000s.

9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I picked up an Echo 751 this year for $450. Not sure how it compares to the Redmax 8000, but it has more power than 7001

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

a lot of us are waiting to see how long the 4mix machines will hold up in the long run. i will let some one else be the guinea pig.